effect on mileage-gear change? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > effect on mileage-gear change?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
JeepLawyer
1979 CJ7 

effect on mileage-gear change?

I have a 1979 CJ-7 with a 304-V8, and I am running KM2s which is a 35" on a 16" wheel, body lift 2", suspension lift 4" -- with standard gears right now. I am happy with the 9 mpg or so I get but ask:

If I have my shop change out the gears, how does this affect mileage, if at all? I think I understand that the engine runs at low rpms when you are running a larger tire and was just curious if there is a big change when you change gears which as I understand it will get the jeep back to his normal factory power after a gear swap to account for the larger tires.

Robert

JeepLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
MoparXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Your gas mileage will improve if you get taller gears. Your engine doesn't have to work as hard to get those bigger tires moving.
MoparXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.