Edelbrock Cam Issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Edelbrock Cam Issues

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The 12* base timing is just a starting point. Don't take it for granted. Play with advancing it up.

chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
Blacky15
1985 CJ7 

I played with the timing with rotating the distributor and still consitant popping. My father-in-law mentioned pulling one plug wire off and then start it up and check for popping. I am thinking it is a hung lifter on one of the cylinders. Has anyone had a hung lifter that caused something like this? I have checked the gas, rotor, cap, plugs & wires.
Blacky15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #18
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If your cam was 180 out, I would check for bent valves. The valves opening when the piston is on its way up is not a good thing.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
baldfatdad

Check the firing order to see if you have plug wires on correct. Check dist cap too.
The do compression check to check you didn't bend a valve.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #20
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
if your cam was 180 out, i would check for bent valves. The valves opening when the piston is on its way up is not a good thing.
+1
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
Blacky15
1985 CJ7 

Went through and pulled a valve cover and found a loose lifter. I went through and retorqued them all to 19lbs. One still would not tighten up so I pulled the intake and found for some reason the lifter vacuumed locked and it wore the cam lobe down on the exhaust valve. So the exhaust was coming back up through the intake and carb. Long story short I called Summit and they reviewed the instructions from Edelbrock and there is no mention of using a ZINC addition to the breakin oil. They are going to be exchange the cam and lifters as Zinc is needed per Summits Techs.

Thanks everyone for the help, this site is amazing!!!
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #22
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You didn't run a break in addative with the new cam? Did you run it @ 2000 rpm for 20-30 minutes?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=1

http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil.html
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
Blacky15
1985 CJ7 

I was following the Edelbrock install sheet line for line and no where in there does it state to use a break in addative. They state to not even soak the lifters in oil. I did run it for 25 mins at a 2200 RPMs. Not sure what happened, but I will be using an break in oil when the new one comes.
Unread 05-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #24
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I guess they assumed that everybody got the memo about extra antiwear addatives with a new cam and lifters. Sorry to hear about your disaster.

How many lobes did it eat?Did you put any grease on the cam and lifters? I've had good luck with the Stalube assembly lube.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M8RYUE/ref=asc_df_B000M8RYUE1562453?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealt414113-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000M8RYUE
The bad news is that all that hardened metal is now being circulated around in your engine. The filter wont catch it all especially when it's in bypass mode.

You really need to pull the engine apart to clean and put new bearings in it now.

I used the Redline stuff and Shell SAE30 diesel oil on my last engine and it did fine. I broke it in for 30 mins. Drove it home and then back to work the next day. Then Changed the oil and filter.
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

fail
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
JHW12084
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky15 View Post
Went through and pulled a valve cover and found a loose lifter. I went through and retorqued them all to 19lbs. One still would not tighten up so I pulled the intake and found for some reason the lifter vacuumed locked and it wore the cam lobe down on the exhaust valve. So the exhaust was coming back up through the intake and carb. Long story short I called Summit and they reviewed the instructions from Edelbrock and there is no mention of using a ZINC addition to the breakin oil. They are going to be exchange the cam and lifters as Zinc is needed per Summits Techs.

Thanks everyone for the help, this site is amazing!!!
unfortunately, your the second person i know of with issues with an edelbrock cam. a friend of mine had the same disaster with a bbc he built for his show car. he called edelbrock and told him thier instruction are good for toilet paper as well as their cams. now as for break in oil, an old guy that i work with uses valvolines. and after every season of drag racing, when he rips his engine apart and reassembles it, whether theres new parts or not, fires it up with the break in oil for the first time for 20 minutes. then changes the oil.
JHW12084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
360 , amc , cj7 , edelbrock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.