eaton e-locker vs arb air locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > eaton e-locker vs arb air locker

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
mikeyjeod

eaton e-locker vs arb air locker

i am currently at a fork in the road. i currently have an arb locker in the rear of my xj and i am looking at putting a locker in front. i was recently informed of the eaton e-locker and i have not seen or heard anything negative about them.
in comparison to an arb locker, how does the eaton e-locker perform.

thank you much for help in this difficult time

mikeyjeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have no experience with either locker.

But - i read the elocker does not have any warranty for over stock tires. I was looking into them and decided against it. To me that gives me a bad feeling and seems like they have no confidence in their product?

However, you know all about your ARB rear locker. Do you like it? You already got a compressor... Front & Rear ARBs - can't get anything better than that man.

They both run wires and cables. It's either electronic locker, AIR locker or cable locker. Ox apparently is building Air actuated lockers now. Which to me, sounds like its the way to go nowadays.
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
mikeyjeod

i love the arb locker. it has never failed me. i think the only complaint out there is that it makes noise (the compressor) but the lines i do not see as an issue. i paid the extra 90 for the steel braided lines and havent looked back. i will probably just go arb i just want to see what else is out there. i am fairly new to the jeep world so we shall see. i have had arb lockers in my past 3 rigs and have no complaints.
Unread 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
nateyz2000
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have heard great things about the Aussie locker... And it is only $260... They have been proven! I am ordering one next week...
[CENTER][B][I]Keep on Keep'in on[/I][/B][/CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Blue"]Built Not Bought #595[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[CENTER]<><[/CENTER]
nateyz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso1337 View Post
. . . But - i read the elocker does not have any warranty for over stock tires. I was looking into them and decided against it. To me that gives me a bad feeling and seems like they have no confidence in their product?
From ARB's web site:

Quote:
Air Locker Inc. (ARB) does not warrant or make any representations concerning its goods when:
  • The products are not installed, used, and maintained strictly in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions
  • The products are installed in vehicles that are used in competition
  • The products are installed in vehicles fitted with aftermarket non-standard tires with diameters in excess of OEM specifications
This is pretty much standard terms across all manufacturers.

At least half dozen times a season somebody I'm wheeling with loses an air locker because of lines leaking. One guy I wheel with is running an e-locker and it worked out great last season. If you want absolute bulletproof traction then there is only one answer: Detroit Locker!!!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyz2000
I have heard great things about the Aussie locker... And it is only $260... They have been proven! I am ordering one next week...
Awfully big difference between auto and selectable! Thanks for playing though.
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy has an ARB in his D44 and an E-locker in the D30, I decided to go E-locker in my D44 over an ARB for a couple of reasons

1. NO airlines! Everyone I have known with ARB's has had some sort of air leak/problem. Particularly here in Canada the dramatic temperature changes pose constant issues with the fittings.

2. Simplicity- The wiring is dead easy, no pumps, no bs. Less likely for something to go wrong, and if it does its easy to fix.

3. Price..I didn't have to buy a pump

The dana 30 E-locker design is on par with the ARB in everyway, its 4 pinion. IMO it is the best on the market. Instant lock at the flick of a switch. The models for different differentials are not all equal, the 8.8 design has its flaws. The Dana 44 is only 2 pinion (thus weaker) But I have been bouncing it off all sorts of obstacles on 35" tires for about 2 years now and no issues. I knew the short comings of the D44 design and I still chose it over the ARB for the above reasons.

I talked with the Eaton Rep over the phone about warranty and he said that it is true that they don't warranty over stock sized tires, he also added that 35" on a d44 was a reasonable application for the locker. So are you covered? Technically no...but I think its a judgement call on their end. That said don't buy it unless you are prepared to be left sol in terms of warranty
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
j69gordon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I ran an Eaton E-Locker in my 03 Cobra, with 700+ hp & about 600 ft pounds of torque, on slick blacktop, with 31 x 12.50 slicks...... never an issue..... if you have it "on" on pavement in the front end, do not expect to be able to turn tho.
Oh and it was the "weak" 8.8 version
j69gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

I run a d44 OX in the rear and a D44 e-locker in the front. They all have good, bad and ugly about them. I had a few issues with the e-locker install, but that may have been due to the HP housing. in regards to operation, I KNOW when the OX is locked and unlocked. The E-locker lock very quickly and quietly, but takes a little to unlock for me. Not very often a big deal, but something I noticed. It's easy to mount the switch, or make your own, as it's just a 12v relay. I have not managed to break anything in either, however, I do trust the OX more then the Eaton. 4 pinion design (e-locker in a 44 is not), a big, heavy diff cover, and the ability to lock or unlock the unit if I rip a cable out are all pluses for the OX.

If I had to do it again? 2 Eatons would go in. "Why? you just said you liked the OX better?". That's true, it's because of the company, not so much the product. Eaton has been around for a VERY long time, builds for the OEM groups and still makes/sells parts for older units, even if the parts belong to a company they bought out. you can still get Detroit locker parts made decades ago. OX has changed it's design a few times, the company itself has pulled products and support without warning on others (OX joints and support were MIA for a few years), and been bought and sold at least 3 times in the last 15 years. IF I do break the OX, I don't know if I'll be ably to get parts for it, but I know Eaton will be there.

Oh ya, IMO!
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
mikeyjeod

Alright ended up selling my 8.25 for a Dana 44 with an e locker and my Dana 30 now has the super 30 kit with an e locker as well. I used this set up in Colorado for about 3 months or so rock crawling and now Im In georgia and the lockers are great herr also. Extremely quiet, locks instantly, and unlocks instantly. No problems when I put both diffs under water for a minute while going through a stream here in ga. No complaints

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.