easy power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > easy power

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-29-2002, 08:35 AM   #1
TDanks76
1979 CJ7 

easy power

If you couldn't tell by the board I'm am looking for a easy way to get more power. I messed with the four banger enough and I'm ready for a engine swap. My question is what is the easiest engine conversion that I can do with out getting many new parts. If at all possible I would just like to replace the engine and nothing else. Then slowly work towards the axels and stuff. So what kind of six cylinder would bolt right up to my stock trans whatever that is.

I have a 1995 2.5L 5sp. i promise this will be my last post about engine swaps for a while.

Unread 07-29-2002, 04:30 PM   #2
errorinspelling

Look into the chevy camaro and pontiac firebird. Newer ones of course. The 3.4 Liters are nice. I am going a little different but here is a good place to be ching into. http://www.60degreev6.com/members/efixj and http://www.60degreev6.com/

The first is my site that is in progress but will be documenting my work on swapping in a 2.8 liter Multiport Fuel Injected Fiero engine into my 1984 Jeep cherokee. These engines are great since they are direct bolt up replacements for the 2.5 liter v6.
1986 Fiero GT v6 engine
http://www.60degreev6.com/members/efixj
errorinspelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:20 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

He has an AMC 2.5L 4-cylinder, not a GM motor or V6.

As far as a direct bolt-up, I'm not sure if the 4.0L will bolt up or not. If so, it is most likely your best swap.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 03:52 PM   #4
errorinspelling

Actually the AMC 2.5 (Not the Iron Duke) has the same bolt pattern as the GM 2.5 four cylinder and the 60 degree V6's (2.8 3.1 and 3.4 liter) The only thing that make the AMC 4 cylinder an AMC engine is the fact that they stuck a Ford computer and ignition module on it, It IS the GM block. Even the Chrysler made engines are the same bolt pattern. The 4.0's on the other hand are not a good swap due the the amount of body mods that need to be done, and that your need to have the AX15 Transmission which is a completely different bolt pattern. On 87 and later XJ's it's possible but incredibally difficult and would be easier just to buy a 4.0 XJ. Why? because they had to move the whole radiator and condensor core for the AC into the front grill area. The only poroblem I could see with a V6 in any of the newer Jeeps is if the dimple on the firewall where the fire wall rolls back into the transmission tunnel on the passenger side is still there. This was to accomodate the v6 Y exhaust pipe. If you like I can get a photo of this so you can see for yourself.
1986 Fiero GT v6 engine
http://www.60degreev6.com/members/efixj

Last edited by errorinspelling; 07-30-2002 at 03:56 PM..
errorinspelling is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.