Early Oil Change Question?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Early Oil Change Question??

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-23-2002, 08:23 AM   #1
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Early Oil Change Question??

I just watched my engine roll over 199,000 miles yesterday! it was really cool and happened right in the middle of my home town. The jeep gods where shining down on me then, i guess. Anyway- since my engine is such high mileage I was wondering if it would help (or hurt) to do oil changes a little earlier than every 3k? like say 2.5K
let me know what you guys think, thanks

Unread 07-23-2002, 09:08 AM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

It definately won't hurt anything. Whether it will help a lot may be another. If you use really cheap oil and filter, then yes it would probably be better to change more frequently. A high-quality filter can last longer (filter better) and thus would probably not need to be changed as often. The same goes for the oil; a high quality oil won't break down as fast as some store-brand $0.79/quart.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2002, 12:17 PM   #3
johny1i

Consider also the use of a thicker oil, such as 20W-50, as long as the climate is warm (may sludge up if it gets too cold there in NC, I don't know). Your "worn" engine has more clearance between rings, guides, etc. and the thicker oil will work well. I use it in mine with 135K miles and it helps to keep the valves from rattling. New engines have tolerances that are too close and need the thinner oil.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2002, 02:22 PM   #4
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Currently I'm running Castrol GTX 10W-40 year round. That is what the previous original owner used. I was thinking of going thicker. What about those additives - like RESTORE , and others? Are those worth the extra money or should I just use Thicker oil. Also what do you all think of Castrol GTX?
Thanks Again
Unread 07-23-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
johny1i

I use Castrol GTX and have always heard good stuff about it. For a filter, try to use Purolater, Wix, or AC Delco. Avoid the cheap Wal-mart type brands like Fram and Pennzoil. There's nothing wrong with 10W-40, that's what would have been specified when new. Regarding additives, I don't know. Do be careful with products that promise to loosen up/clean the inside of the engine, because with your mileage, there could be a lot of junk in there and it will clog the oil pickup screen if it is knocked loose into circulation.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2002, 07:39 AM   #6
FunkSkunk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I use the FRAM X??something filter. It seemed to be the nicest one at Pep Boys costs around $10 bucks. And I change them every oil change just in case. Its says its good for 6 or 7,000 miles but I'm not counting on some advertisement to carry my baby down the road safetly.
Also I never use those 'clean your engine' type additives. I've been adding Slick 50 to mine usually every oil change but the last two I've just forgotten. but I've been reading around on the net and it sounds like Slick 50 isn't that great.
anyone else heard this?
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:29 AM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

Don't use ANY additives. Use Castrol GTX 20W-50 and ANY filter OTHER THAN Fram and you'll do GREAT!

Strong opinion, but proven, LOL
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.