Durango Engine/Transmission help. 4.7 vs 5.2 vs 5.9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Durango Engine/Transmission help. 4.7 vs 5.2 vs 5.9

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
11Past9

Durango Engine/Transmission help. 4.7 vs 5.2 vs 5.9

Sure it's not a jeep but I'm looking at buying a 1st gen Durango and wanted to know which year, engine and transmission I should go with to achieve the best reliability. This is going to be my daily driver and I need to be able to count on it.

What mileage is too high?

What questions should I ask to make sure my drivetrain isn't about to crap out?

What are red flags or things I can do to avoid problems?

Should I even bother with one of these rigs?

11Past9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The 4.7 is crap. If it goes slightly warm or even a quart low on oil its done.
5.2 & 5.9 are good motors just not economic.
Gen 1 Durango and Dakotas had a lot of a/c problems.
Google the yr model customer reviews. Also Google for recalls.
My best friend had Durango and loved it. Had 5.2. Fixed the a/c twice in 5 years.
Hope this helps
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
11Past9

I'm mainly concerned about catastrophic transportation issues. I need to know if I should be going with the 4.7, 5.2 or 5.9 Durango. I heard the 42re is the 4.7 the 44re is the 5.2 and the 46re is in the 5.9. People have given me mixed signals on which is best. Right now I'm looking at a 1999 5.2 w 130k and a 2000 5.9 with 87k on it. I know that my ex gf had a 02 ram 5.9 and the trans crapped at about 107k. I'm mainly worried about engine and trans reliability
11Past9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I think Chris's was a 99. It was 5.2 and never had trans problems he traded it when it hit 180k.
I'm sure there are forums that are better suited to help. Sorry
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

I'd get the 5.8 if it was me, as for trans problems thats all on the user... Trans problems are usually caused by heat and lack of fluid changes when it gets to much heat.

If it's been stuck in sand and or mud or snow and people just keep trying and trying to get out then it overheats the trans and then you NEED to change the fluid right then and no one does, then it builds a varnish and slowly dies or then they change the fluid 5k miles later and it cleans out the build up and that kills it also.

Also overheating the motor overheats the fluid for the trans.

There aren't any specific bad issues with them that cause them to just leave you stranded, but the 4.7 has no aftermarket support if you want to add power to it later.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You're looking to buy an older higher mileage vehicle that will last a long time without needing any high bucks maint for a long time? Good luck. Me, being that I own a 2001 Durango R/T, which I bought new, I'd go with the 5.9/46RE. I tow the Jeep a lot with it (6000 lbs w/trailer), including towing 2041 miles from NY to NM when it had 85k miles. The trans finally went at 94k last Oct and I didn't hesitate to pay $3200 to have a high end rebuild done. I actually spent $5,500 on mine in the past 12 months (trans, tires, bilsteins, full Magnaflow, ign work, etc). When the motor goes, I'll fix that too.

In your shoes I'd be looking for a D with a good body, nice interior, features you want. Anything wrong with the drive train is fixable. You can use any known drive train issues to negotiate the price down.
Unread 10-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

I've owned both 5.9L and 4.7L Gen-I Durangos. Both fine drivetrains if maintained. Though it may seem strange, the 545RFE is probably a bit more tolerant of lack-of-maintenance; the 46RE needs the bands touched up or it gets into trouble.

The '03 got a brake upgrade, which IMHO is worth trying to get. A registration check shows that both my '99 and my '03 are still on the road somewhere in the hills of Massachusetts.

There is a thread about this very topic running at dodgedurango.net, and there are a LOT of current or former Gen-I owners there. There are many >200K-mile Gen-Is there.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.