Dropping a Chevy 350 in a Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dropping a Chevy 350 in a Jeep

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
Creed42069

Dropping a Chevy 350 in a Jeep

First i want to start off and say i currently own a 91 F150 and right now im trying to decide whether to build it or to build a jeep. Which one i decide on depends on how hard this engine swap is and how much money its gonna cost. What i want to do is drop my bro's 350 that has almost 40k miles on it into a jeep that i might buy come summer. How much would this cost? I know they make kits for dropping the engine in and i know i will have to find a transmission to mount up to the engine. I plan to do all the work myself. ALso im gonna have to modify my driveshafts a little and plan to just go ahead and buy brand new ones. How much will the shafts cost? Also will it require me to put a new rear and front end in by swapping the engines?
Thanks a bunch!!

Creed42069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2003, 01:51 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

First of all... Welcome aboard!!!! Okay, next... get rid of the Ford How much it will cost to swap a 350 into a Jeep depends on a lot of things. How much mechanical/fabbing skill you have. Your ability to beg, borrow, sell, and scrounge parts. Innovativeness.. etc. I would probably look for an 81 or newer CJ with a Dana 300 transfer case. I would then mate the 350 with a GM SM465 using factory parts. Mate the engine/tranny combo to the Dana 300 using an adapter kit (Novak or AA approx $500). Weld up your own mounts or pick up some aftermarket mounts ($150 or so?). That just gets the engine/tranny/transfer mounted in the vehicle. You still have to address cooling (radiator and fan setup $500). Driveshafts cost me about $700 from Tom Wood. I'm sure you could pick some up a little cheaper. Make sure you swap in 1 piece rear axle shafts into the AMC 20 rear end ($300-400). Exhaust system ($300 or so). Don't forget the new clutch stuff for the tranny, new fluids, new gaskets here and there, wiring, misc stuff. Take all the prices I've listed, double them and you'll probably be close to what it's gonna cost ya. Do the same for the amount of time you figure for actual labor. No matter what... it'll be better than a Ford truck so just do it

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
Creed42069

Thanks for the Welcome and help!!! hopefully i can build one bad jeep. Before the engine gets dropped in im gonna make it itno a 383 stroker which is really gonna be sweet. This seem like a wise move to you?
Unread 02-16-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Depends... if the 350 is running good (good oil pressure.. etc) then I would save the money for the actual swap. If the motor needs a rebuild, then a good stump pulling 383 rebuild wouldn't hurt. My "warmed over" 350 has enough power to scare the uninformed...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-16-2003, 09:07 PM   #5
Creed42069

well i just found out that the mileage is closer to 30k then 40. See my brother wants to drop a 454 in his truck that he shows and the guy before him blew the first engine in his truck. So now he has a different variation of the 350 that actually has more ponies to it. What i was considering doing though was just buying it and taking it to someone i know who built his own jeep engine into a 383 stroker since he has expirience doing it but i wasnt gonna do that for a while after i bought my jeep so i was just gonna leaave the engine out until after i made it into a 383. Reason i wouldnt do it all at once is because im short on the cash flow.
Unread 02-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #6
Creed42069

Why do you say to mate the engine with a sm465? I was thinking of using a Th 400 Tranny. Id really like to use a manual transmission but its way too expensive for my blood. Also why a Cj? Cj's are a little hard to find around here so i was thinking of maybe a tj or Yj. Also how hard is the wiring? I dont plan to use the Throttle Body i plan to make use a Truck avenger or similiar carb and just toss the computer. Also i dont plan on using this jeep on trails but more as something for show that will look nice.
Thanks
Unread 02-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

An auto's cool. I think it'll wind up a few inches longer than most standard setups. As for CJ vs YJ vs TJ.. I just took it for granted that everybody either has a CJ... or wants one Wiring shouldn't be too hard. You can probably get a wiring book or just piece it together using a combination of diagrams from manuals. Maybe do an engine something like this...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #8
Creed42069

Whoa nice setup you have there!! Like i said personally i would rather have a 5 speed manual but its way too expensive because im still in HS and i dont have that kind of money for a manual tranny. Also how long is your drive shaft? I dont want to end up with some short 10 inch driveshaft when iim finished. Is it really neccesary for me to change my axle shafts as long as i dont beat on it?
Unread 02-20-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Here is a suggestion, please don't take it the wrong way. If you buy this thing, you might want to drive it for a while before you start dumping 300HP out the back axle. Jeeps are a short wheelbase vehicle, and as such have different handling characteristics than other 4X4's. as an ex highschooler I know what a cranking V8, a couple cans of beer, a good looking gal can do to your driving record. Besides that, these conversions cost a lot of money and an incredable amount of time. You can plan on a complete brake job, cluch job, and a bunch of other possable repairs before you even get to the engine. Building a Jeep is a wonderful thing, just keep in mind the responsibility that goes with it. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2003, 06:15 AM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I do agree with Jeepdaddy on a number of points. First off, I'm up to about $17,000 and well over 1000 hours of labor in a Jeep that I'd be lucky to sell for half what I've got in it. It is definately a handful to drive with the lift, tires, stiff clutch, and engine. It is not my daily driver.. I built it as a recreation vehicle (not that I don't run it to work from time to time or go fetch milk and eggs with it on Sunday mornings). I started my love affair with cars/trucks when I was 15 but it has taken me another 24 years to have the means and money (my wife would argue the money part) to allow me the good fortune of modifying Jeeps to this extent. To answer your question... I ended up with a 15.5" rear shaft with a CV joint and a plenty steep angle. Steep enough, in fact, to bind the CV joint at full droop. Had to use a center mounted limiting strap to keep from busting ujoints during hard bounces that even slightly airborne the back of the CJ. As for changing out the rear axle if you don't beat on it... since your contemplating a V8 swap... you'll beat on it.. we all do.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-21-2003, 01:23 PM   #11
Jrod-13

Deffiently build up the Jeep before the F-150, The ttb on the F-150 is junk, I know, I own one.

As for swapping in a V-8, I personaly would do a 5.0 H.O. mustang engine into it.. You can get all the power you could ever want, plus the aftermarket parts for them are getting cheaper by the day, almost in SBC range. You can make 400rwhp from the 5.0 and still keep it efi, get into a 347, or a 351W based 393 stroker, you can start talking 500-600, hp, and still streetable. The multiport efi is relitively easy to hook up, and the 5.0 gets damn good milage. The other big plus is that a 5.0 is smaller, and lighter. I say go for it..

89 F-150 359W, 600 holley, headman, ported heads, T-18, Ford 9", spool, 5" lift, 35" bfg KM MT

84 broncoII 302, 600 holley, 484"cam, jacobs, ladder bars, fender exits.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #12
Creed42069

I know what you guys are talking about as far as the money issue and being a Highschool driver. Right now im just trying to get some info as to whether i actually want to go the path of building the Jeep or not. So far i have decided i am. I realize that its gonna take time for me to drop the 350 in and to get the money for it. Thats why i plan on the engine sitting for a while before i do anything with it. As far as dropping a 5.0 HO in it, it sounds like a good idea but i will have the 350 availible to me plus i know that its in good shape and taken care of because its coming out of my brothers truck with only around 30k miles on it. I realize its gonna take me a lot of time before i get everything the way i want it but my brother did it with his truck so i should be able to get some work done to a jeep. By the time my brother was out of highschool he had dumped close to $12,000 in his truck so i think i should be able to have some stuff done to the jeep before im out. I thank all of you for the help and now i think im off to visit the suspension forum to see some prices on Spring over conversions
Unread 02-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #13
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can take a quick read of my story of putting a 350 into my 1988 YJ ..

http://members.shaw.ca/snowjeep/modifications/halfton

Total's were:
Donor vehicle ..... $700
Radiator ............ $300
Front DriveShaft . $300
Rear DriveShaft .. $300
Misc. stuff ......... $200
Total ................. $1800 Canadian dollars

Tires, rims and the rest of the goodies are not included in this price as they were not needed to make the swap work, just needed to put the finishing touches on my beastie
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2003, 03:34 PM   #14
Creed42069

Quote:
Originally posted by NaeKid
You can take a quick read of my story of putting a 350 into my 1988 YJ ..

http://members.shaw.ca/snowjeep/modifications/halfton

Total's were:
Donor vehicle ..... $700
Radiator ............ $300
Front DriveShaft . $300
Rear DriveShaft .. $300
Misc. stuff ......... $200
Total ................. $1800 Canadian dollars

Tires, rims and the rest of the goodies are not included in this price as they were not needed to make the swap work, just needed to put the finishing touches on my beastie
Wow thats all it cost? Maybe it wiont be as expensive as i originally thought
Unread 02-25-2003, 11:24 AM   #15
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You just have to hunt for the right stuff - be picky about what you get, and what you pay for it.

If you read the story - you will notice that the work was done in a backyard garage with the help of good friends.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.