Drivin cross country, lets hope I make it... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Drivin cross country, lets hope I make it...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
andrealphus

Drivin cross country, lets hope I make it...

Started driving across country a few days ago (RI to Los Angeles), and somewhere in VA I noticed the jeep (01 TJ) was pushing a lot of coolant, with vigorous bubbling in the coolant overflow reservoir. Seems to only happen when it's very hot out. My first guess was the thermostat or head gasket. I replaced the thermo last year.

There also seems to be what can only be engine coolant leaking out of one of the ac pressure ports (the one right above the thermostat). If I unscrew the cap of that ac port i can see coolant and gas slowly bubbeling out.

I normally don't use my ac, by I've got a 5 month old puppy with me, so the ac is crucial.

I had it recharged before I left, and they said I do likely have an ac leak somewhere since it was so low. They didn't put in a sealer with the recharge but I'm carrying a couple cans of sealer and freon with me.

Is it possible somehow to have engine coolant leak through into the ac? I thought they were isolated systems..

I do all my own maintenance, but when it comes to the ac I'm lost.

(Somewhere at a Chik-fila parking lot in Kentucky...)

andrealphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant can not leak out of the AC system, they are not connected. The refrigerant will look greenish when it leaks because of the lube and dye.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrealphus
Started driving across country a few days ago (RI to Los Angeles), and somewhere in VA I noticed the jeep (01 TJ) was pushing a lot of coolant, with vigorous bubbling in the coolant overflow reservoir. Seems to only happen when it's very hot out. My first guess was the thermostat or head gasket. I replaced the thermo last year.

There also seems to be what can only be engine coolant leaking out of one of the ac pressure ports (the one right above the thermostat). If I unscrew the cap of that ac port i can see coolant and gas slowly bubbeling out.

I normally don't use my ac, by I've got a 5 month old puppy with me, so the ac is crucial.

I had it recharged before I left, and they said I do likely have an ac leak somewhere since it was so low. They didn't put in a sealer with the recharge but I'm carrying a couple cans of sealer and freon with me.

Is it possible somehow to have engine coolant leak through into the ac? I thought they were isolated systems..

I do all my own maintenance, but when it comes to the ac I'm lost.

(Somewhere at a Chik-fila parking lot in Kentucky...)
Replace thermostat. It may not be opening and look for a collapsed hose possibly.
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBchJeep View Post
Coolant can not leak out of the AC system, they are not connected. The refrigerant will look greenish when it leaks because of the lube and dye.
If he's leaking coolant it should be orange. Although I agree coolant in AC makes no sense.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

If he's leaking coolant it should be orange. Although I agree coolant in AC makes no sense.
Yea the green stuff from the a/c would be dye from the recharge. They have to see if there is a leak before recharging.
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If an AC port is bubbling, the the valve is leaking. The bubbling is probably the oil in the system being discharged. The valve may eventually need to be replaced and the system recharged. This won't cause the engine to overheat.
Know that bubbling in the coolant tank is normal. Check the temp with an IR gun to insure what the block/radiator temp is.
If the temp is good, I would be to replace the radiator cap.
Remember, the engine will run hotter with the AC on due to the added strain and the condenser tossing heat on the radiator.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Chuck59
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Change radiator cap.
Chuck59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.