Driveline noise - Not sparrows - I think... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Driveline noise - Not sparrows - I think...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Driveline noise - Not sparrows - I think...

Okay, I started getting a sound in the front-ish end of the TJ a few weeks ago. I have had NO wheeling for a while, but it just started making this noise. It sounds kind of like gears are not quite in sync.

In 2hi, 4hi, and 4lo, it makes the noise. it is not tied to engine speed, but rotational speed of the tires/driveshaft/transmission. I put the Jeep on jackstands in back and in 2hi, with only the rear wheels turning, no noise.

So I was pretty sure it is the front. I replaced diff fluid in front as I checked to see if I had blown the front end apart. They looked perfect actually. So I got to thinking either t-case or driveshaft. I did an adjustment on the t-case lever thinking perhaps the gears weren't quite in sync. Noise still there, but it shifts between the 4x4 modes better.

I even checked the t-case fluid level. It was fine.

I'm not sure if the is the 'angry sparrows' noise people complain about or what. I guess my next step is to put all 4 wheels in the air and get close while watching it (hard to isolate sound while driving).

A few weeks passed, and I finally looked at it again and closer inspection. After more listening, it really sounds like a t-case issue to me. With the doors off and a longer listen, it makes the noise in all drive modes, though the sound may change a bit. It almost seems like the adjustment fork that moves between 4hi, 4lo, and 2hi is not setting up in the right spot. But moving it a bit while in motion doesn't seem to change the sound any.

I thought it may be a driveshaft balance issue, but the sound is from further back.

I don't want to risk doing any damage to the t-case gear set, so I'm holding off driving it for now until I can get a better idea of what is going on in with it. I do have a SYE to install, so I may end up taking the t-case off, doing the SYE, and perhaps doing some maintenance on the t-case. I've never removed it, so that would be new too.

Anybody in the Huntsville, AL area that knows how to remove and work on a transfer case want to help me? I want to figure this out and do the work, but this is a new area for me.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Did you remove the front shaft and check it ? If not remove it not remove it and make sure it doesn't have a problem.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Turns out, it WAS the front driveshaft. The front ujoint caps were a bit dry. But the biggest issue was the centering cap between the 2 ujoints at the back of the driveshaft. VERY loose and my likely source of noise. I have a friend that gave me his front driveshaft since he is going to bigger axles and after taking mine out and running w/o the shaft, I put the donor driveshaft in, secured it all down and drove, it is running like a top again and as quiet as a 4cyl with 33" MT's will go.

Thanks for the input. That sound REALLY REALLY REALLY sounded like a gear mesh issue, almost to the point of sounding like a grinding noise.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Good to hear, hopefully you didn't kill the stud yoke on that shaft.

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.