Driveline Angles after lift and tuck skids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Driveline Angles after lift and tuck skids

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Driveline Angles after lift and tuck skids

04 Rubicon. 4 speed auto 6 cyl. Did a 3" SAVVY lift along with 1.25" BL/1" MML. INSTALLED UCF 2" skids so from stock that moves the transfercase up 2"+ so it says. I retained the stock trans mount, I have the Lopro mount but requires some trimming to my skids and not sure I wanted to get into that if not needed. My issues are that I have a Tom woods driveshaft installed in rear when I bought the lift and got it for 3" lift or so as they sell. Now I have adjusted and bought digital angle finders and check adjusted measure each axle more than A 100 times. They are perfect straight to the pinion and shaft line. However at 65 mph I get a mild vibe started. It has been much better once I did get all angles perfect and I have nothing left to adjust. @ 70mph it gets more noticeable and narrowed down to both shafts. I pulled the front and it deff helped. With it set right the vibe is decent. When I pulled the rear it was smooth as well perfect. So with them both in it adds up to this vibe I have found. My question is after lifting 3" and movin skid up 2". Is 5" or so to much for the rear shaft being so short? Is this just what I need to live with being that lift and having the skid up so high. It's def not flat and I see people w 3-4" lifts and dead flat skids who seem to not have the issue. Maybe I'm a bit over compulsive and perfectionist but I want it right and not eat joints up. It is really not to bad but 70 mph will get tiring with that vibe I am getting. Curious if its going to be worth the effort to install the low pro transfercase mount and cut the skid a tad to fit this stupid tranny pan? Will it really help or what. Thanks for reading.

'04 Rubicon Auto - 3" Savvy/Currie Lift - Rancho 9000's - 4.88's - 33x10.5 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rock Vipers - 1.25" BL/1" MML - UCF Extra Clearance Aluminum Skids - Warn M8000-S - Besrk Rear Bumper/Carrier - JCR Stubby F. Bumper
Moroney167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely possible to run more angle than you are running and not have vibes although not necessarily easy. Personally have 4" springs, Savvy UA and a LP third member in my F9. Now there are things you can and likely need to do to make sure it works. For example, I switched from a regular SYE to a SSYE to get extra length in my driveshaft. I had TW make a shaft for the exact measurement I needed (rather than buy a generic "X" lift shaft) and had TW do their special clearancing on the cv joint and yokes. I believe Robert Yates running similar setup converted his output to a Toyota flange to make the output shorter. Just examples, but the point is you have to be creative to keep the angle down and make the driveshaft as long as possible.
Unread 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have almost the exact same setup minus the TT: 04 Rubi with 3" Savvy lift, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, Tom Woods DS for 3" lift. 4.88 gears.

I think there's a case to be made that you've reached a level of modification where some tradeoffs have been made, i.e. the vehicle is no longer suited for going over 60mph. I think my jeep is set up pretty well now and I think I have above average mechanical empathy and going much over 60mph just doesn't feel good. Just my $.02.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
I have almost the exact same setup minus the TT: 04 Rubi with 3" Savvy lift, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, Tom Woods DS for 3" lift. 4.88 gears.

I think there's a case to be made that you've reached a level of modification where some tradeoffs have been made, i.e. the vehicle is no longer suited for going over 60mph. I think my jeep is set up pretty well now and I think I have above average mechanical empathy and going much over 60mph just doesn't feel good. Just my $.02.
Minus the TT actually makes you materially different than OP when it comes to driveline vibes or not.

Described my setup above and I feel perfectly comfortable at 70-75 MPH. Don't necessarily drive at that speed though given how steeply MPG drops off. Don't make excuses for your setup. Get it right.
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Minus the TT actually makes you materially different than OP when it comes to driveline vibes or not.

Described my setup above and I feel perfectly comfortable at 70-75 MPH. Don't necessarily drive at that speed though given how steeply MPG drops off. Don't make excuses for your setup. Get it right.
I understand it's different and I don't have vibes. I was just commenting that when I do get the TT (I have the same plans) and I get vibes only above 65mph I wouldn't consider it a big issue. If, as you state, that is preventable with proper setup so much the better.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get me wrong I know a trade off. I do and can go 70 mph easy. And right to 80 very well now but it's just a slight constant vibe. Again I think I'm over OCD! Probably way better than others drive for all I know.
'04 Rubicon Auto - 3" Savvy/Currie Lift - Rancho 9000's - 4.88's - 33x10.5 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rock Vipers - 1.25" BL/1" MML - UCF Extra Clearance Aluminum Skids - Warn M8000-S - Besrk Rear Bumper/Carrier - JCR Stubby F. Bumper
Unread 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pulled rear driveshaft smooth as butter to 80mph which is beyond I would wanna travel in my rig. 65-75 im happy and was smooth. So I'm going to rebuild the rear shaft again. I feel slop in the double carden part even though I rebuilt a few hundred miles ago. I dont get what's up feels like te rotation of the double joint is not smooth. Again is the line angle of a 3" lift and 2" skid tuck ok? Shaft has about 3/4 of the splines in the shaft. Can't see it being that. Idk. Hopefully all works out getting real furious. Again this is a Tom woods driveshaft purchased through savvy
Unread 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe I didn't see it, what is your drive shaft angle?
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72
Maybe I didn't see it, what is your drive shaft angle?
Update for this one I am still searching. My driveshaft angle of front is ruffly 18*. I have rear pinion 1* lower which makes it pretty perfect smooth.

Caster set to approx 5.5-6* which leaves pinion angles at 2.5* which is perfect no issues. I adjusted everywhere from straight on dead to 5* low. No difference at all w my vibes.

Rear shaft on only (no front in) she goes smooth perfect to 80+mph

Front only in (rear out in 4x4 to move) went smooth to 80+mph.

Both in vibes bad 65+ more so at 70+ coasting or not 3rd or 4th gear in my auto.

My only lead is the front driveshaft cause it is under load when rear is out. An when I try to coast. When I run all shafts in an 4x4 on up to those speeds it's better and smooth. What the hell. Caught some real old threads of this in rubicons after new gears an regarding rpm of
The driveshaft being a problem. Others rebuilt, replaced, did everything possible and still does it. What do I do this will drive me nuts I didn't build my rig smaller lower an all to not be able to use on highway or trips. I would go big and wide open if I knew I would not have any drive ability on highway!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.