Drive shaft question, please help... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Drive shaft question, please help...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Diefaster71
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Drive shaft question, please help...

I have an 04 Rubicon and recently aquired a case of "angry sparrows" with my front DS, so while I had it broke down I decided to go ahead and replace all three ujoints, and obviously the CV socket yoke that was making the noise. The problem starts when I went down to Napa to see if they had the right ujoints and CV socket, they had the ujoints and not the CV socket, but they showed the DS as having two different types of ujoints, the two in the back on the double cardan as being the same, but the front yoke where it connects to the front axle as being different, the ones I pulled out are all the same size. This leads me to believe either they are screwed up, or when I bought the Jeep, it had a previously different front DS installed. That or Im just retarded, in any case, I need help. If you can take a look at the pictures, do I need 1310 ujoints, or 1330. By looking at pictures of 1310's and 1330's the 1330's look more like mine with the longer neck. Also, as for the CV socket yoke, dont have any clue which one I need. Ive looked at STU's write up on overhauling a front DS at http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm, and was wondering if those are the right part numbers for mine. Im 95% sure, just need the clarification. Thanks for the help guys.

Cody

Diefaster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You really arent expecting us to be able to tell the difference between a 1310 and 1330 u joint from those fotos are you?
If you cant measure the ones you have, just take them to a parts store and compare them to whatever they have.
There are numerous sites online though, that list the measurements for all u joints. Diameter of cap, length of cap, blah blah blah.
Such as this one, that also explains the ins and outs of u joints etc. First one that came up when I used Google.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...08/ujoints.htm
As far as the CV socket, that may be an online deal, and not available at your local parts store etc.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Diefaster71
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I actually have already checked out that site, and by looking at the picture that has the different ujoints in a line and describes them from left to right starting with a 1310 with a 1330 after that, the neck on the 1330 is noticeably longer, just like the one in my picture, you don't need a micrometer to see the difference, you can tell by just looking at them. Which brings me back to the question, why the heck would my jeep have a front DS with 1330 ujoints, is that a stock thing, what's your guys take on this. I bought the jeep like this and I need some help decoding what the previous owner did to it.
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
Diefaster71
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I said screw it and today I brought the front DS by a machine shop and the guy just glanced at it and told me it was a 1330. It apparently needs some work on the slip yoke as well so I just left it with him to take care of it for me and fix the slip yoke and put in the ujoints and CV center bearing. I hate having other people do work for me.
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah but sometimes it is better to get a pro to help out a little. Don't feel bad we all have that day come by.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Diefaster71
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah it ended up being a pretty penny but the guy did an amazing job and I'm really satisfied with the end result. It sucks but I have to admit it was worth it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.