drive shaft noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > drive shaft noise?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 06-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
gtrampuh

drive shaft noise?

96 JGC L, the guy I bought the Jeep from said the front drive shaft seized up. He replaced the u-joints but now when I install it there is a thumping noise. With the drive shaft out there in no noise at all. The u-joints move freely and feel smooth with no play. The cv joint seems to be ok but I suspect that that may be the problem. You cant buy a replacement cv for it, you have to buy the whole axle. $$$ Does anyone know if there is a kit that I can still use my axle and change the cv joint to u-joints? Or does anyone have an idea what could be causing this thumping noise?
Thanks

gtrampuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrampuh View Post
96 JGC L, the guy I bought the Jeep from said the front drive shaft seized up. He replaced the u-joints but now when I install it there is a thumping noise. With the drive shaft out there in no noise at all. The u-joints move freely and feel smooth with no play. The cv joint seems to be ok but I suspect that that may be the problem. You cant buy a replacement cv for it, you have to buy the whole axle. $$$ Does anyone know if there is a kit that I can still use my axle and change the cv joint to u-joints? Or does anyone have an idea what could be causing this thumping noise?
Thanks
Sounds like the shaft could be bent. That's the only thing I can think of.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

The front axle joints can be transmitting or there is another issue with the diff or t-case, if the rzeppa is moving fine then i'd leave it.

If you really want to change it which i don't recommend since the rzeppa isn't a bad thing.

See your local driveline shop if you need or think you need a new rzeppa head or you want to change to the u-joint cv head, i'd leave it as is and let your local driveline shop have a look at it, but i think you may have a issue and the front shaft may be the link transmitting it.
Seeing your local driveline shop will save you from having to but the entire shaft or a new shaft

. You have the rzeppa at the diff and the cv head at the t-case ?

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.