drive shaft noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > drive shaft noise?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
gtrampuh

drive shaft noise?

96 JGC L, the guy I bought the Jeep from said the front drive shaft seized up. He replaced the u-joints but now when I install it there is a thumping noise. With the drive shaft out there in no noise at all. The u-joints move freely and feel smooth with no play. The cv joint seems to be ok but I suspect that that may be the problem. You cant buy a replacement cv for it, you have to buy the whole axle. $$$ Does anyone know if there is a kit that I can still use my axle and change the cv joint to u-joints? Or does anyone have an idea what could be causing this thumping noise?
Thanks

gtrampuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrampuh View Post
96 JGC L, the guy I bought the Jeep from said the front drive shaft seized up. He replaced the u-joints but now when I install it there is a thumping noise. With the drive shaft out there in no noise at all. The u-joints move freely and feel smooth with no play. The cv joint seems to be ok but I suspect that that may be the problem. You cant buy a replacement cv for it, you have to buy the whole axle. $$$ Does anyone know if there is a kit that I can still use my axle and change the cv joint to u-joints? Or does anyone have an idea what could be causing this thumping noise?
Thanks
Sounds like the shaft could be bent. That's the only thing I can think of.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

The front axle joints can be transmitting or there is another issue with the diff or t-case, if the rzeppa is moving fine then i'd leave it.

If you really want to change it which i don't recommend since the rzeppa isn't a bad thing.

See your local driveline shop if you need or think you need a new rzeppa head or you want to change to the u-joint cv head, i'd leave it as is and let your local driveline shop have a look at it, but i think you may have a issue and the front shaft may be the link transmitting it.
Seeing your local driveline shop will save you from having to but the entire shaft or a new shaft

. You have the rzeppa at the diff and the cv head at the t-case ?

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.