double cardan at both ends of drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > double cardan at both ends of drive shaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Vacant Stare

double cardan at both ends of drive shaft?

I was thinking about the cascade effect of installing an SYE- adjusting the rear pinion angle, which throws the shocks, trackbar, and spring cups off, and wondered why we don't instead use a drive shaft that has a double cardan at each end and leave the rear axle where it is?

just curious.

Vacant Stare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I dont think two double cardans would work that way. It would be shaped like an " S " if you used the stock angles. They need to be angled in the same direction like an " r " to work in the way you are describing.
Unread 10-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Tom Woods does it.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i'm curious about this too. my TT and OME lift are getting closer to the top of my list, i don't really want to use adjustable arms for the reasons you listed.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Vacant Stare

Well I did a little research on this today, and the only reason I can find not to do it is cost. a double cardan joint does add to the cost of a custom driveshaft. I found this little blurb at the Tom Woods site:

"Multiple Double Cardan (CV) drive shafts are built using modified off the shelf components. This configuration will typically add about $180 to the cost of a more conventional CV and may require using a custom adapter flange."

So it sounds like you'd need a pinion flange for the rear axle to replace the yoke. I found one for Dana 44's for $99.

The only other possible drawback I can see is that having the pinion point forward instead of angling up toward the t-case might make it more likely to snag on things.

It's probably 'overkill' for a mild lift, but I do like the idea of avoiding all the annoyances that come with changing the pinion angle.
Unread 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Vacant Stare

I called Tom Woods this morning to get their take on this. They brought up a few things I hadn't thought of.

Double cardan joints are longer than u-joints. On a SWB jeep, there just isn't enough driveshaft length to stuff 2 in there.

Double cardan joints are heavier than u-joints. You could end up with a drive shaft that's so heavy it's hard to balance. Not good for freeway driving.

There is a double cardan pinion yoke for Dana 44's though, so the flange wouldn't be necessary.

It's always good to talk to the experts.

Last edited by Vacant Stare; 10-16-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.