double cardan at both ends of drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > double cardan at both ends of drive shaft?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 10-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Vacant Stare

double cardan at both ends of drive shaft?

I was thinking about the cascade effect of installing an SYE- adjusting the rear pinion angle, which throws the shocks, trackbar, and spring cups off, and wondered why we don't instead use a drive shaft that has a double cardan at each end and leave the rear axle where it is?

just curious.

Vacant Stare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I dont think two double cardans would work that way. It would be shaped like an " S " if you used the stock angles. They need to be angled in the same direction like an " r " to work in the way you are describing.
Unread 10-15-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

Tom Woods does it.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i'm curious about this too. my TT and OME lift are getting closer to the top of my list, i don't really want to use adjustable arms for the reasons you listed.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Vacant Stare

Well I did a little research on this today, and the only reason I can find not to do it is cost. a double cardan joint does add to the cost of a custom driveshaft. I found this little blurb at the Tom Woods site:

"Multiple Double Cardan (CV) drive shafts are built using modified off the shelf components. This configuration will typically add about $180 to the cost of a more conventional CV and may require using a custom adapter flange."

So it sounds like you'd need a pinion flange for the rear axle to replace the yoke. I found one for Dana 44's for $99.

The only other possible drawback I can see is that having the pinion point forward instead of angling up toward the t-case might make it more likely to snag on things.

It's probably 'overkill' for a mild lift, but I do like the idea of avoiding all the annoyances that come with changing the pinion angle.
Unread 10-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Vacant Stare

I called Tom Woods this morning to get their take on this. They brought up a few things I hadn't thought of.

Double cardan joints are longer than u-joints. On a SWB jeep, there just isn't enough driveshaft length to stuff 2 in there.

Double cardan joints are heavier than u-joints. You could end up with a drive shaft that's so heavy it's hard to balance. Not good for freeway driving.

There is a double cardan pinion yoke for Dana 44's though, so the flange wouldn't be necessary.

It's always good to talk to the experts.

Last edited by Vacant Stare; 10-16-2007 at 11:05 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.