Do I need gasket sealer on a new oil pan gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Do I need gasket sealer on a new oil pan gasket?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do I need gasket sealer on a new oil pan gasket?

I am changing the rear main seal and am about to re-install the oil pan. The old oil pan gasket did not have any sealer on it except around the timing chain and in the corners in the rear of the pan.
Using a 1 piece gasket.

Do I just copy what was on there before?
Or...
Follow the Chilton's, which says to coat the gasket on both sides. The Chilton's does show using a 4 piece gasket though.

How about thread locker on the oil pan bolts?

The Chilton's also says 10 pounds of torque on the oil pan bolts...seems low???

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

just copy what was on there
thats what I did on the one peice gaskets

the three piece gaskets you have to coat the whole thing
Unread 10-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

almost .forgot be very carefull when you go to bolt up the oil pan sometimes the rear of the gasket the (trans side)
it tends to fold a little when you start to bolt it up and it will cause it to leak

you wont know if it worked untill you fill it and start the engine

the last one I did I had to take it apart twice because it didnt seat right in the rear
Unread 10-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My Haynes TJ manual says the oil pan bolts should be torqued to 84 inch/lbs (7 ft/lbs). So 10 ft/lbs doesn't seem low for yours.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd View Post
My Haynes TJ manual says the oil pan bolts should be torqued to 84 inch/lbs (7 ft/lbs). So 10 ft/lbs doesn't seem low for yours.
Agree.

I use gasket sealer only to help hold the gasket in place while you're getting all the bolts in. Makes the job a little easier, IMO.
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.