distributor question on a 99 inline 6 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > distributor question on a 99 inline 6 4.0

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
jeepsareballin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

distributor question on a 99 inline 6 4.0

I recently had my inline 6 4.0 rebuilt. We took it out of my 99 wrangler ourselves. That was no problem but now that were puttin it back in I want to make sure that I put the new distributor in correctly before I get it all the way back in only to find out that I did it wrong.

jeepsareballin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsareballin
I recently had my inline 6 4.0 rebuilt. We took it out of my 99 wrangler ourselves. That was no problem but now that were puttin it back in I want to make sure that I put the new distributor in correctly before I get it all the way back in only to find out that I did it wrong.
You'll be able to get it running, but the fuel sync will need to be set at the dealer or someone with a snap on scanner. The distributor on yours doesn't tell the spark plugs when to fire, the pcm does that via crank sensor. The distributor tells the injectors when to fire via cam sensor under the distributor cap. You cannot set this with a timing light.
greenmachine99 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsareballin View Post
Ok. First off IF the dizzy was not put in properly it may not fire at all.

Assuming the engine builder put the timing chain kit in properly and you installed the dizzy properly this engine should run off of the factory presets in the brain.

Then as it goes from open to closed loop mode over time the brain learns from the inputs from the sensors and averages out the amounts.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.