Disposing of Antifreeze - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Disposing of Antifreeze

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Disposing of Antifreeze

Do any of you know of any place that takes antifreeze? I've tried all of the auto parts stores and Midas and none of them do and they couldn't tell me where I could go. Ive got about 2 gallons of old stuff from my recent radiator replacement that I need to get rid of and I want to dispose of it properly.

TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Most auto parts places take anti-freeze in addition to oil. I know my local Pep Boys does. Call around to your local auto parts places and if that doesn't work, I know that most fire stations do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Most auto parts places take anti-freeze in addition to oil. I know my local Pep Boys does. Call around to your local auto parts places and if that doesn't work, I know that most fire stations do too.
I think we may have a Pep Boys here. I didn't know that some fire stations would take it too

Everyone's always "You gotta dispose of it properly, don't just dump it down the drain on on your neighbors lawn!" Yet they fail to mention just WHERE to dispose of it.
Unread 12-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you have municipal (city) sewage and NOT a septic system you can just pour antifreeze down the drain.

How to Properly Dispose of Used Oil, Transmission Fluid, Anti-Freeze, etc.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
If you have municipal (city) sewage and NOT a septic system you can just pour antifreeze down the drain.

How to Properly Dispose of Used Oil, Transmission Fluid, Anti-Freeze, etc.
That's what they told me at the parts store, but man, that just seems wrong for some reason.
Unread 12-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #6
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

I hate to hijack this but what about old gasoline? I have a gas container that is filling up fast.

I guess I could give it to someone with a riding mower. I would use it myself but I just bought a new one and I am trying to take care of it.
theguidoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Ask at radiator shops. They'll know. As for old gas, I blend it in with fresh gas about 1 gallon per tank unless it's super raunchy.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put the old gas i an open container (like a bucket). It will evaporate in a week or so depending on how much you have.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
WillysEdition04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just leave it out for the nighbor's cats or neighborhood squirrels. They love the sweet taste of the glycerin

ChevTac Firearms, LLC
"Like" us on Facebook: facebook.com/ChevTec
WillysEdition04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
Rmart30

we always dumped it in with our waste oil....
For the poster asking about bad gas, unless it has water in it do like carnuck says and add it in in small amounts to something else.
I drain my boats tanks every spring and add 3 gallons of it to my truck when it has at least 3/4 of a tank and have had no problems doing that in 15 years.

We actually get paid for our waste oil when it gets picked up so any dropped off to us would be a benefit. It may be different in other states.
Currently own 93 XJ 33's on 4" lift....01 XJ stock,will replace my 93 after mods are done..... 1994 ZJ V8, BB w/31's........99 XJ stock....97 XJ 2wd 5 spd stock.... and just p/u a 98 XJ 4wd/5 spd and a 01 XJ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.