Did the mechanic damage my transmission, or just coincidence? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Did the mechanic damage my transmission, or just coincidence?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Sherwood15

Did the mechanic damage my transmission, or just coincidence?

Ok, well, it's not mine, but my son's. It is a 2000 Wrangler, with an automatic transmission. Here's the situation:

The vehicle was driving normally, except that the transmission was starting to occasionally slip/jump slightly during shifts. Then, one day during normal driving, the engine blew a rod. The mechanic informed us that the cheapest option would be to just replace the engine, which we agreed to have them do.

This mechanic has two locations, several miles from each other. The engine replacement was done at one location, then the vehicle was driven to the other location to be picked up. When my son picked it up, he noticed that it was in 4WD Hi, when he knows that it had been dropped off in 2WD. The roads in the area were dry. When leaving the shop, he noticed difficulty in shifting to 'drive'.

He immediately took it out of 4WD, but 20 minutes after picking it up, the transmission began making a very loud growling/grinding sound while in any drive gear. The mechanic is now saying that the transmission needs to be replaced.

Based on the evidence, it appears that the shop drove it several miles from one shop to the other, with the transfer case in 4 HI on dry pavement. Could this have caused the transmission to go out (or at least finished it off, since it wasn't perfect before)? Or is it just a coincidence that the transmission happened to go out right after the mechanic gave it back?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any insight.

John

Sherwood15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say coincidental based on the symptoms before the mechanic did the work.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Unfortunate coincidence. I know it sucks but you would be really grasping at straws to think the shop damaged the trans. Since you already acknowledged the trans had problems before hand, it unfortunately died after the engine repair. My bigger question if I was you would be how the engine threw a rod than the trans taking a dump, they may both be related?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Unfortunate coincidence. I know it sucks but you would be really grasping at straws to think the shop damaged the trans. Since you already acknowledged the trans had problems before hand, it unfortunately died after the engine repair. My bigger question if I was you would be how the engine threw a rod than the trans taking a dump, they may both be related?
I agree. How many rpms was the engine turning when the rod threw? That may have pushed the trans over the edge.
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Sherwood15

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
I agree. How many rpms was the engine turning when the rod threw? That may have pushed the trans over the edge.
The rod threw cruising on level, dry pavement at about 35 to 40 mph, at reasonably low rpm, and he stopped the vehicle immediately. The engine never locked up when the rod went.

I agree, though, that it's probably just a random coincidence that one went out right after the other. It just seemed a little TOO coincidental that it happened literally minutes after the shop drove it at least 7 miles in 4WD on dry pavement.

I've heard of driving in 4WD on pavement causing damage to the transfer case and such, but I hadn't really heard of it causing damage to a transmission. I just wasn't sure if the added strain on the drivetrain could cause a transmission that was already less-than-perfect to finally fail.

In the end I guess it's irrelevant, because even if they did somehow cause it there wouldn't be any way to prove it, so I know that we're going to be paying for it anyway. The only reason I'm asking is out of curiosity, and to determine whether or not I should ever go back to this particular mechanic.

Thanks so much, everyone.
Sherwood15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also believe the prior slipping was the cause of the damage. But I also understand your frustration at the situation.
As to where you return to have it fixed may be determined by how you were treated, cost and with an auto trans WARRANTY. It better have a 1 year or better to protect it and you.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
mmerlinn

Driving a transmission in 4WD on dry pavement will not hurt the transmission at all, so if it is a transmission problem, as it appears to be, this is pure coincidence. Driving it that way may have put more stress on the transmission causing the failure to become obvious sooner, but the failure was still there before the mechanic got vehicle. However, if you have a transfer case issue, I would put the blame squarely upon the mechanic for driving it that way.
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.