Diagnosing Transmission Fluid Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Diagnosing Transmission Fluid Leak

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Kahunadm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Diagnosing Transmission Fluid Leak

Yes, this put a damper on the weekend getaway plans!

I just noticed some transmission fluid leaking (just a small amount) when I got home yesterday. It was coming out slowly, about a drop every 10 seconds, then stopped. I caught about 4-5 tablespoons of it in a small plastic cup, so although I haven't lost a lot (the stick still reads full), I'm still very concerned, as I dread the thought of an expensive transmission repair. Could it be something simple? Anyone have experience with diagnosing this kinda thing? It's a straight 6 automatic in a 2004 TJ Unlimited. It's been awhile since I had the transmission serviced, and I don't know if that could have contributed or not, but I haven't given the vehicle much of a workout this past year, and I only put about 10k a year on it (average). It's at 90k right now.

I'm trying to find out whatever I can prior to seeking a mechanic, and also would like to know if it's safe to drive short distances before getting it looked at, or should I find a different ride until I get a diagnosis? Any ideas/suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

~Dave

Kahunadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Kahunadm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

These are some pics of where it first comes into view (near the front of the vehicle).
img_1824.jpg

img_1825.jpg

Kahunadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.