death wobble fix? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > death wobble fix?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
nastyruts

death wobble fix?

90 jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 I think I might have death wobble how do you fix it? Please help

nastyruts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

There is not a simple fix or definite answer. You will need to inspect the steering and front end/suspension components for looseness or wear. It may help to have a buddy wiggle the steering wheel (engine off) while you are under there looking for something loose. The reason to turn the wheel is to see if any of the steering components look loose, might try nudging the steering wheel with slight effort from left to right too. Also raise front tires off the ground and wiggle the front wheels and wiggle the wheel side to side ( 3 & 6 o'clock positions) and top to bottom (12 & 6 o'clock), this also helps having someone move the wheel while you are looking underneath. Most generally the side to side play would be something loose in the steering, top to bottom usually a wheel bearing. With tires still off the ground stick a long bar or prybar under the center of tire and pry up slightly and look at the ball joints.

All things need to be checked like, track bar brackets and bushings, all tie rods ends, drag link etc, ball joints, wheel bearings, control arm bushings. If everything looks good and tight with no play it might be the steering damper/shock or possibly out of balance and/or bad tire(s)
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
nastyruts

Alright thank you il try that this weekend would back shocks have anything to do with it cuz Iam missing a rear shock hahahaha and also can I use gas adjust shocks from a chevy z71 the mounts match's for em
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Back shocks probably wouldnt directly cause it, but it could be a contributor. If the rear end is bouncing it may slightly affect front caster which could help promote wobble but this theory is really stretching it if you know what I mean. Death wobble usually starts with hitting a bump, pothole or road section and usually around 30-50 MPH or so, if the rear end is bouncing excessively it might be negatively affecting the front end wobble.

I dont know if the z71 shocks would fit or not. I would probably remove the factory shock and compare it to the z71 shock. Compare the extended and compressed lengths and see if they are close. You just dont want to limit out the shock in either compression or extension. The z71 shock is probably longer so make sure you would bottom out the shock when compressed, if its shorter make sure you dont limit the shock out when extended. If the z71 shock seems to fit the only other thing might be a rougher ride (maybe) since the z71 shock might be valved more aggresive for the bigger/heavier truck.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
nastyruts

Alright thank you a bunch you were very helpful

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.