Death wobble... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Death wobble...

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What speed?
Bumps induce it?
Switching lanes?
Smooth hwy cause it?
Shakes so bad you have to slow down to get it to stop shaking?

Have ya checked your control arm bushings for play?
Done the dry steer test?

Have ya tried different tires?
Rotated tires?

wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #17
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw
What speed?
Bumps induce it?
Switching lanes?
Smooth hwy cause it?
Shakes so bad you have to slow down to get it to stop shaking?

Have ya checked your control arm bushings for play?
Done the dry steer test?

Have ya tried different tires?
Rotated tires?
Not so much at low speeds but seems to after 45. Switching lanes no. Still shakes on a smooth highway. To get it to stop shaking it goes away if I put floor the skinny pedal and get up to 65-70 or slow down. I've replaced the control arm bushings in the front. I've done the dry steer test numerous times... ( wife gets in the cab and turns while checking for play in steering links..) have not tried different tire but I had them rebalanced and rotated..
mtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #18
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is the shake real violent to where the wheel is moving @ 4-5 inches back an fourth and the jeep is trying to shake your teeth out.

Tire balance can be real funny for a jeep...it has to be perfect, I have had tires balanced at different locations with no change until finding the right place that does em correctly and sometimes they would not do it right.

I had one set of tires that would shake from 40-50mph without fail. and a set of BFG MTs that were smooth as glass up to 70...never needed to go past that number.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm starting to think that myself... The tire shop didn't balance them properly... Are there ways to balance tires myself? Like on semi trucks I used to use some type of liquid inside of the tire for balance... Would that be able to work as well? Or what about beads and pellets that I've read people using but haven't tried myself
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #20
Quikv
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What about your front track bar? There is another thread that the guy found his track bar mounting hole was elongated and the track bar could move causing his wobble
Quikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #21
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It was wallowed out. Welded a peice of flat iron over and drilled a hole
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #22
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It was wallowed out. Welded a peice of flat iron over and drilled a hole
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #23
joebm83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I had some tires one time that wobbled and no one in town could balance them. Finally found a place that actually shaved the rubber and resurfaced them. It killed me to see all the rubber that was stripped but it smoothed the wobble and they rode perfectly.
joebm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
xdbltrblx
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got a shop near you that does Road Force Balancing? I'm new to jeeps but I have seen many vibrations solved with RF Balancing.
xdbltrblx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #25
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmech View Post
Changed the ball joints yesterday and still had the wobble... I connected my front sway bar links... Just out of courious and still have it... I'm stumped and apparently so is jeep forum.. Lol
Have you tired swapping a set of balanced stock wheels and tires on there? That will at least narrow it down to whether it is a suspension issue or a poor tire/wheel balance issue.
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No not yet.. But I did have something dawn on me earlier today. My inner shaft seal is bad... I have a disco hp Dana 30. I haven't swapped over to a solid passenger shaft yet... And I was thinking if the shaft could be bent...
Unread 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Eventually you will fix it with a steering stabilizer . . . .
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
Terminator2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmech View Post
No not yet.. But I did have something dawn on me earlier today. My inner shaft seal is bad... I have a disco hp Dana 30. I haven't swapped over to a solid passenger shaft yet... And I was thinking if the shaft could be bent...
My buddies Dodge Ram had that issue with the shaft seal (D44 front axle) It was the outer shaft seal and it was making a scraping grinding noise but we never noticed any death wobble (no more than normal with with the 15x12 wheels and 35 x 15.50 super swampers anyway LOL)
Terminator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
wranglerunited

I still run stock everything in my Jeep. Married with children keeps me from upgrading my Jeep like I want. Anyways... I own a 2005 Wrangler Sport. Had the wobble. Steering stabilizer was bad. There was actually a recall on the stabilizers that Jeep would fix, at no cost. Ended up doing it twice because the replacement Jeep put on was bad too! Go figure! Any ways no problems after that. That was 3 or 4 years ago. This past month I changed all my shocks to Rancho 5000's. Still running stock height. Changed the stabilizer also to Rancho 5000. Wobble returned! Still have to get an alignment and will balance the tires this week. I'm hoping the Rancho Stabilizer isn't the problem. Once I get the alignment and rebalance we will see and repost the outcome.
wranglerunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerunited View Post
I still run stock everything in my Jeep. Married with children keeps me from upgrading my Jeep like I want. Anyways... I own a 2005 Wrangler Sport. Had the wobble. Steering stabilizer was bad. There was actually a recall on the stabilizers that Jeep would fix, at no cost. Ended up doing it twice because the replacement Jeep put on was bad too! Go figure! Any ways no problems after that. That was 3 or 4 years ago. This past month I changed all my shocks to Rancho 5000's. Still running stock height. Changed the stabilizer also to Rancho 5000. Wobble returned! Still have to get an alignment and will balance the tires this week. I'm hoping the Rancho Stabilizer isn't the problem. Once I get the alignment and rebalance we will see and repost the outcome.
Whatever the cause the stabilizer is not it. A proper 4x4 front end can run without one and have no wobbles.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.