Death wobble... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Death wobble...

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobble...

Not sure where to put this but here goes... If anyone tells mento do a search it'll be ignored.. Past 6 months I've been reading every post on death wobble from causes to what happens while the wobble is actualy happening.. Anywho... I've checked and replaced everything in my front end except for shocks and steering stabilizer. New bushings both axle side and frame side... Tierod ends ... Track bar. Steering box... Drag link.... Haven't done my ball joints yet... Theres no slop in them what so ever. I even had my tires re-balanced just to be sure... (took the weights off at the tire shop and gave em the tires) if you have any other ideas or something I'm over looking... It'd be greatly apperaited. Btw it's a 97 tj 4.0 4" lift 33" tires. Hp d30 up front 35 in rear...

mtmech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Have you had the caster and camber professionally checked?
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Checked it myself with an angle finder. It's set at 5.5* sorry. Forgot to put that in there
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #4
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And thank you
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think I may have found it... My trackbar hole was wallowed out ALOT... so I took a piece of flat iron drilled it to 3/8" and welded her up. Haven't tested it yet but I'll let everyone know the end result
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmech View Post
. . . Anywho... I've checked and replaced everything in my front end except for shocks and steering stabilizer. . .
Well there you go right there . . . the reason why steering stabilizers exist in the first place is to damp out vibration (wobble).
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A stabilizer does not fix a death wobble it mearly hides it. I don't want to hide it I want to fix it
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmech View Post
A stabilizer does not fix a death wobble it mearly hides it. I don't want to hide it I want to fix it
Did you read that on the Internet somewhere? Not true. The reason why steering stabilizers exist in the first place is to damp out wobble.

Good luck with the track bar fix. Thats the first place I always check before moving on to the stabilizer.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead
Did you read that on the Internet somewhere? Not true. The reason why steering stabilizers exist in the first place is to damp out wobble.

Good luck with the track bar fix. Thats the first place I always check before moving on to the stabilizer.
So what about those of us that have run without stabilizers and not experienced DW? If that is the point of the stabilizers?
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Quikv
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you running wheel spacers? I run 35's on my TJ and never had a wobble problem. No wheel spacers and I run a double steering stabilizer. Spacers change your scrub radius, as due different offset wheels which can cause a stability issue
Quikv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No wheel spacers. Have deep dish wheels. Back spacing is like 2" or so
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Quikv
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's not alot, you got alot of wheel and weight hanging off your spindle.
Quikv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry... 4 1/2" back spacing.. From the inside of the WMS to the edge of the rim
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
XCaustic_ChrisX

I have an xj that had terrible DW I spent almost 1400 trying to track it down. Ended up being a bad mount under the tranny.
XCaustic_ChrisX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
mtmech
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Changed the ball joints yesterday and still had the wobble... I connected my front sway bar links... Just out of courious and still have it... I'm stumped and apparently so is jeep forum.. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.