Dana 60 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 60 question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
matholland
1998 ZJ 

Dana 60 question

Hey guys...I traded my ZJ so I no longer own a jeep I can still hangout here though right!? lol.

Anyway, I traded my ZJ for a toyota buggy. Not much of it is still toyota lol. Anyway, the front has a dana 60 out of a ford 1 ton. Has chromos as well. Today I noticed that I can grab the driver side axleshaft and move it in all kinds of directions...quite a bit of play...My buddy had mentioned that it was probably the spindle bearings that needed replaced. Does anyone happen to have a writeup on something like this, or does it sound like something else?

matholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think (not positive) that the spindle bearings are what tend to come loose all the time on 60's. that could be your problem.
sjones26573 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
matholland
1998 ZJ 

I was wondering if it popped out and that's why there is so much play...its as if there isn't even a bearing there almost lol...I haven't had anything this big apart...I have only messed with dana 30's and ford 8.8's lol...I believe that these have all kinds of clips and stuff...a buddy of mine said it was about an hour and a half job probably....Was hoping someone had a writeup, always nice to have one when you are doing someone you haven't done before...although I am sure its probably self explanitory.
matholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did a HPD60 swap in my YJ a while back. IIRC, disassembly starts on pg2 of this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...tions-1216015/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.