Dana 44a to 44 conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 44a to 44 conversion

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Dana 44a to 44 conversion

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but the internet connectivity here in Afghanistan doesn't promote healthy JeepForum searching...

So my question: Do any parts (gears, shafts, etc) from a Dana 44a transfer to a iron Dana 44?

Background: Before leaving to come to this place of fun and sun, I picked up a pretty cheap complete 44a (mostly for the brakes). I've researched and decided on an Eaton E-locker as my locker of choice. As we all know they don't make one for the 44a or 8.25. So basically I need to know if I can pick up a full size 44 some place, chop it down and stuff it with any parts from the 44a to save some money.

I've already made up my mind about getting a 44 with the Eaton E-locker, so letís not turn this into a get this/get that thread. Thanks.

Just moved to Duncannon, PA. Looking for some wheeling buddies/trails.
SGT_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
ajmorell

No, they are completely different
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Damn. Anybody want to buy a Dana 44a with no brakes? Haha.

Unread 04-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Welding on WJ tubes and hardware with WJ shafts to an iron 44 has been done. I'm sure a ZJ could be done too. Both axles use 30 spl shafts. Nothing in the gearbox will swap over, two different animals. Was gonna go that route myself until I found a 60 for a good price and already geared with I wanted. For all that work, you could make a hybrid 60 with the 30 spl shafts too, but then you'd have a 60 with weak wheel bearings.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be putting under my XJ so the tubes are of no use to me. So I can use the shafts from the 44a on 44 gears/carrier?

Unread 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

The splines match, but part of the tube swap takes the shaft lengths into consideration and is mostly done to preserve ABS. What did the 44a come out of? WJ and ZJ are different axles. 44A shaft lengths may vary whether it was locked or open. Lot of trouble if you don't need link mounts and coil buckets or ABS. Might check ECGS for some ideas too. They build a 60 with 9" shafts and set 20 bearings and ABS with discs. Probably a lot cheaper without needing brackets and coil buckets. Just a good reference for build ideas.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not entirely sure, but I want to say it came out of a ZJ. I only bought the axle for the disc brakes, so if I have to scrap the whole thing, no biggie. But what I was thinking I could do would be to find a junk yard 44, cut it down to size and stuff any internals from the 44a that I could in, and then cap it off with the disc brakes. I don't have ABS on the XJ at all, but getting rid of my drums would be nice.

I guess I'll just have to get home and open it up and see exactly what I'm working with.

Unread 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

There are write ups for a disc conversion. If the top of the pig is round and has no bolt holes, it would be a ZJ and share your lug pattern, so you could convert it. I haven't looked into an XJ/ZJ disc conversion, may have to modify a bolt hole or two to fit the ZJ backing plate to the XJ44? WJ uses different lug pattern and has 3 bolt holes on top in a triangular shape.
Unread 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. Thanks for the info. Now I just need to get home to take care of buisness.

Tags
44 , 44a , conversion

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.