dana 44 housing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > dana 44 housing

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

dana 44 housing

I was wondering if the housing of a dana 44 is any stronger than the housing of a dana 35. I've been told they are the same strength. Just the housing, not the ring gears. or axles.

elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know the axle tubes of the D35 and TJ D44 are exactly the same. Not sure about the rest.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just looking at them side-by-side (I compared them when I did my swap) the D35 looked kind of puny. there is no way the D44 housing is not significantly stronger, just based on the size comparison.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
MQ79
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They use the exact same tubes. So the answer is that both housing are virtually the same strength.

Some people make the argument that the larger center section on the Dana 44 makes the housing stronger then the Dana 35. But truly, any difference in housing strength would be minimal.

The best advise would be to the truss the housing on either of them.
MQ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

They are not the same... Next time you have a M35 and a D44 sitting side by side, measure again.

The M35 necks down when it goes into the pumpkin - the D44 does not. That necked down area is where all of the M35's break.

So try again...
waynehartwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

D'oh! I mean they are weaker! So sell me your D44 TJ housing
...Seriously, I need one for a customer.
Unread 09-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So when I first posted this I was deciding between a super 35 and a dana 44 had the money to go either way and decided to save a little and go with the super 35, what a waste that was because it only lasted 5 months and now I have the dana 44 any way. The super 35 guts held up fine other than twisted splines on the right axle but I beleive that was cause by the centersection breaking and the right axle tube twisting. Hopefully the centersection of the dana 44 is stronger, sure looks like it will be.
Unread 09-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan2
So when I first posted this I was deciding between a super 35 and a dana 44 had the money to go either way and decided to save a little and go with the super 35, what a waste that was because it only lasted 5 months and now I have the dana 44 any way. The super 35 guts held up fine other than twisted splines on the right axle but I beleive that was cause by the centersection breaking and the right axle tube twisting. Hopefully the centersection of the dana 44 is stronger, sure looks like it will be.
This is exactly why I just about refuse to sell a Super 35 kit (and I carry them all, Yukon, Alloy USA and Superior). They are a complete waste of money. As you unfortunately learned, the guts aren't the problem with the 35... I sell built D44's for only a few hundred more than a Super 35 kit. Were you at least able to salvage the locker and sell it seperately?

...Same thing with a Tera Low. Don't bother with that either. For only a few hundred more you can have a Stak or Atlas; basically the same price as a SYE and Tera Low. I tell my customers if they don't have the coin for the new case, put the SYE in their 231 and wait. A SYE'ed 231 is easy to sell later for a pretty hefty down payment on a much much stronger TCase.

Oh, and to Lud04X... IF the M35 and D44 have exactly the same tubes, why aren't you breaking your D44 with those 4.56 gears, ARB and 35" tires? You tell me ONE M35 rear end that can even hold up to that. You can't; because your statement is BS. (Sorry, not attacking you personally, just your ignorance on the topic )
Unread 09-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=waynehartwig]This is exactly why I just about refuse to sell a Super 35 kit (and I carry them all, Yukon, Alloy USA and Superior). They are a complete waste of money. As you unfortunately learned, the guts aren't the problem with the 35... I sell built D44's for only a few hundred more than a Super 35 kit. Were you at least able to salvage the locker and sell it seperately?

No I wasn't able to salvage the locker becaue when the splines of the axle twisted they got locked in the locker and the locker broke when trying to get the axle out. So Chalk one up to experience, it's funny how many people try to justify building a dana 35. I think the people that have a super 35 and say it's strong are just trying to make themselves feel better for the purchase.
Unread 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=elkfan2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehartwig
No I wasn't able to salvage the locker becaue when the splines of the axle twisted they got locked in the locker and the locker broke when trying to get the axle out. So Chalk one up to experience, it's funny how many people try to justify building a dana 35. I think the people that have a super 35 and say it's strong are just trying to make themselves feel better for the purchase.
That sucks! I could probably get you the parts to repair it?

I think the only way to make a M35 live is by adding a full width truss; like the Superior one that is also a diff cover... But even then, why bother?
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
wonderboy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is exactly why I just about refuse to sell a Super 35 kit (and I carry them all, Yukon, Alloy USA and Superior). They are a complete waste of money. As you unfortunately learned, the guts aren't the problem with the 35...
So what is the problem?

Quote:
I sell built D44's for only a few hundred more than a Super 35 kit.
How much for one of your axles?
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy
So what is the problem?

How much for one of your axles?
The housing...

Super 35 kit is $949
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=S35C

TJ D44 rear ready to bolt in with your choice of gears and 33 spline axles is $2139
http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/pr...ucts_id=165947

Granted it is almost 2k more, but when you consider the benifits and the fact it's all brand new with new gears (perfect time to change the front, too!) and 33 spline axles, it's just a way better option!
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
wonderboy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I sell built D44's for only a few hundred more than a Super 35 kit.
I don't know about you, but $1100 more is not "a few hundred". I understand what you mean about it being a better axle, but some of us can't drop an extra grand for an axle.
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #14
waynehartwig
www.jeeperman.com

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy
I don't know about you, but $1100 more is not "a few hundred". I understand what you mean about it being a better axle, but some of us can't drop an extra grand for an axle.
I understand; but if you are looking for a cheap sport, try softball. Spend the $1k now, and then spend $2k later when the Super 35 blows up - because it will! That's $3k... You could have gone to Vegas and at least had a good time with that $1k; if you are just going to piss it away like that...

I was trying to find the cost of a Super 35 kit with OX locker. I want to say it was right around $1400. I just sold 2 TJ D44's with OX lockers (still need to build them) for ~$2200... What's that, $800 difference? It'd cost you that much to have a shop regear that POS 35 and add the Super 35 kit.
Unread 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
wonderboy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I completely agree with you, i just wish i had that kind of money.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.