Dana 44 clunking and tire slop (rear) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 44 clunking and tire slop (rear)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
H2oboy21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 clunking and tire slop (rear)

I have a clunking noise coming from the driver side rear tire. It was most noticeable when coasting but not accelerating. I could move the tire side to side and hear the clunk. I thought it was the wheel bearing causing the noise. I had the bearing and retainer ring replaced. I also replaced the oil seal and outer bearing retainer. There is still too much end play on the shaft. The clunk is still there. It has the exact same sound when driving. There is nothing left to replace. I also made sure the nuts on the outer bearing retainer were tight. Am I missing something?

The only thing I can think is bent axle shaft? Please help

1998 jeep wrangler 4.0l
Dana 44, 4.10 gearing, 30 spline.

P.s : I have checked the tightening of all the bolts.

Last edited by H2oboy21; 01-15-2012 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Add more detail
H2oboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

There is always some "slight" looseness, the axle needs to push in slightly for c- clip removal at the planetary. Check inside to se if you have excessivly worn c-clips and center pin. C-clips do wear out and fail, which is something you dont want to experience on the road.
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
H2oboy21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply, however you might be mixed up with the Dana 35. The Dana 44 has pressed on bearing with a retaining plate that holds the axle shaft in, there are no c-clips. On my passenger side rear the tire is solid with no movement and or clunking.
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Actually, I had just been in the Grand Cherokee section and when I glanced at 1998 in your sig, ZJ is what came to mind, which does use a c-clip 44. Still my bad. Maybe pull the other side to compare and see for sure that the new bearing was pressed on equally?
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
H2oboy21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok the issue has been found! The spider gears were chunked and so worn down that it was allowing the shaft to move. The mechanics I had it at before are going to get an ear full because they said everything looked fine after they popped the cover... Hope this helps anyone with the same issue

The problem was so bad it has been suggested that I get a new carrier. So I decided to go with eaton e locker will we are in there.

Tags
clunk , dana 44 , rear end , rear end noise , wheel bearing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.