Dana 35 Gear Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 35 Gear Change

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
2qk4u

Dana 35 Gear Change

Iam getting ready to change my stock gearing out to 410's. Does anyone have a good guide of instructions to help do this? im very mechanic oriented and would just like to have a little more backup on doing this.

also my carrier bearings only have probably 55,000 miles on them. would you all go ahead and replace them?

thanks

2qk4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
miguelitojeep97

replace them all. better to spend the money now then get screwed on the trail!

ok a couple articles: the first one is very very detailed of everything you should need to know. good luck. I am currentyl having my gears re-done at a shop! cant wait for the results
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...structions.pdf
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
2qk4u

what are they charging you?
2qk4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
miguelitojeep97

LOL well that, I am not suppose to tell anyone. I have a buddy that works for Offroad Werks in Ventura. I have given him plenty of business and have sent all my buddies to him. I also gave him a bunch of spair parts that I was ging to sell. Ill PM you the price. but he said normall he does re-gears for about $400 an axle. A little high on the price
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
blake989
1995 YJ Wrangler 

$400 an axle total or labor only?
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
miguelitojeep97

oh sorry just labor. I had all the parts b/c I was going to do it with a friend at his shop but he had been way too busy and wasnt going to be able to help by the time I needed.
Unread 07-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If you're very mechanically inclined, you should probably be able to do it provided you have access to all the required tools. Randy's Ring and Pinion web site used to have a good set of instructions. I think the most important thing is recognizing patterns and knowing how to adjust to correct. I taught myself and have not had to re- do any installations. No noisy gears and I've done 10 so far. The first couple took a lot of time but once I found out what to adjust to get a good pattern, the rest was easy. Patience is a must have. Buy good gears. I highly recommend Yukon. Their gears pattern very well and their install kits are excellent. A lousy gear set that doesn't pattern well just makes the job more confusing for the beginner.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.