Dana 35 and a 2.5L with a regear... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 35 and a 2.5L with a regear...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 and a 2.5L with a regear...

I have a 99 TJ 4cyl jeep with the awful Dana 35 and the normal 4.10 gearing. I am running 33" tires for mostly street purposes....VERY mild of road. This is a Daddy-Daughters fun jeep for the occasional weekend ride to get ice cream and go fishing....hence the very mild off road. DONT FLAME ME...My girls are #1 not the toy jeep, so I don't and can't spend big money on axle swaps.

I would like a bit more low in power out of this 4 cyl and some pulling power going up hills around town so I have been think of regearing the axles to 4.88 to try and get back that power thus lost from the 33's.

Question: is it worth it with the Dana 35 and a 4cyl or is the axle still a ticking time bomb even with my weak motor and street jeep application?

Will going to 4.88 gears be a hindrance on the longevity as well in this situation?

I plan to do the install myself as I am very confident in gears and such as per my career. That is the only way I can afford this mod in the first place.

Please help educate me on the Dana 35 and 4cyl application.

BTW.. I searched and searched, but only came up with 6cyl and Dana issues....

Thanks in advance!

bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcash616
I have a 99 TJ 4cyl jeep with the awful Dana 35 and the normal 4.10 gearing. I am running 33" tires for mostly street purposes....VERY mild of road. This is a Daddy-Daughters fun jeep for the occasional weekend ride to get ice cream and go fishing....hence the very mild off road. DONT FLAME ME...My girls are #1 not the toy jeep, so I don't and can't spend big money on axle swaps.

I would like a bit more low in power out of this 4 cyl and some pulling power going up hills around town so I have been think of regearing the axles to 4.88 to try and get back that power thus lost from the 33's.

Question: is it worth it with the Dana 35 and a 4cyl or is the axle still a ticking time bomb even with my weak motor and street jeep application?

Will going to 4.88 gears be a hindrance on the longevity as well in this situation?

I plan to do the install myself as I am very confident in gears and such as per my career. That is the only way I can afford this mod in the first place.

Please help educate me on the Dana 35 and 4cyl application.

BTW.. I searched and searched, but only came up with 6cyl and Dana issues....

Thanks in advance!
If its just a weekend drive out town and to the lake rig, d35's are going to be fine.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
NICKTAMM19
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2002 TJ with the 2.5l as well I just regeared to 4.88s last month and I can tell you that it's like driving a new vehicle 5th gear is usable again and fuel economy has went up as well
NICKTAMM19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.