Dana 300 shift rod seal replacment?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 300 shift rod seal replacment??

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 08-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Railbender
1982 CJ7 

Dana 300 shift rod seal replacment??

I did a search and a google on this but really didn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have to replace these seals, but really don't known what is involved. Is there any disasymboly of the case required? Can I just replace these seals with the tc in the Jeep?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Railbender
1982 CJ7 

Bump no one knows? Going try to do this on Thurs any guidance would be appreciated.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Railbender
1982 CJ7 

I'll post just incase someone needs this information in the future. To answer my own question. NO you do not have to disassemble the transfer case. Just drop the skid plate while supporting the transmission/transfer case, then disconnect the shifter lever by pulling the 2 pins connecting to the shifter linkage, and the shifter and the plate will come right off, next take the shift rod collar off by removing the 1/2' bolt in the center ( if its like mine was it is full of contaminate and is covered up), this should now have the seals exposed. I removed them with a small flat screwdriver, clean the area REALLY well oil the seal and replace. I found that a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe cut to about 5" long makes a great seal driver.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.