Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 300 shift rod seal replacment??

3K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Railbender 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a search and a google on this but really didn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have to replace these seals, but really don't known what is involved. Is there any disassembly of the case required? Can I just replace these seals with the tc in the Jeep?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

#3 ·
I'll post just incase someone needs this information in the future. To answer my own question. NO you do not have to disassemble the transfer case. Just drop the skid plate while supporting the transmission/transfer case, then disconnect the shifter lever by pulling the 2 pins connecting to the shifter linkage, and the shifter and the plate will come right off, next take the shift rod collar off by removing the 1/2' bolt in the center ( if its like mine was it is full of contaminate and is covered up), this should now have the seals exposed. I removed them with a small flat screwdriver, clean the area REALLY well oil the seal and replace. I found that a 3/4" piece of PVC pipe cut to about 5" long makes a great seal driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.