Dana 30 Axle Seal Replacement Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 30 Axle Seal Replacement Advice

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Pete3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 Axle Seal Replacement Advice

Hey guys, my driver side axle has been leaking fluid into the knuckle, so I figured my axle seals where going bad. I called the shop and was quoted 500+ to change the seals, so I decided that I am probably capable enough to do this all myself, and should have every tool I need anyways.

I have never been in a differential before, so I was wondering if anyone would have any advice going into this process.

I have a Danna 30 front, with an ARB installed, 4.56 gears.
Its a 99 TJ, and Im not sure what axles are in it, Im going to call the shop that originally did the work to see if they can help me out, (the truck was set up when I bought it.)

Am I correct in saying that the type of axle seal needed is specific to what kind of axle is in there?

and my last question is what should I use to reseal the differential when Im all done, a gasket, or some sort of calking?

thank you all so much for any help, tips, recommendations or advice.

Pete3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The seal will be the stock one no matter what axles are in there. I use Silicone gasket maker for the diff cover. To install the new seal use a socket that fits into the seal and a couple of long extensions to drive it in from the opposite side the seal is going into. Notice the way the seal comes out and install it the same way. Do both while you are in there. Cost the sealing surface with grease after installing the seal so when the axle goes in it slides over the seal and does not damage it.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is an example of a walk through: http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoD30AxlesSeals.htm. Seal shouldn't matter whether different axle shafts or not. RTV works fine to seal the diff back up, although Lube Locker gaskets are nice and save the mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.