Dana 30 ARB problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Dana 30 ARB problems

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
ghommel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 ARB problems

Ok. I have a 95 YJ SOA with dana 30 front, 4.56 gears, 35" tires, and ARB. Initially, I set it up with 30 spline shafts, ARB locker, and heavy diff cover. All work done by professionals. ARB leaked inside diff after a few wheeling trips. Took it back, reinstalled with more preload, still leaks. Took it back, heads were scratched, ARB was called and housing flex was blamed after preload was checked again. Full rebuild then with non disco XJ housing, sleeves, gussets, truss, new o-rings. Still leaks, worse when under load. I'm pulling my hair out. Gotta say, not too happy with ARB right now. $1000 PITA. Anybody have any ideas? Switch to OX or Eaton? Try another shop?

ghommel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

This is what i tell my customers, and i have a ARB and E-locker for many years.
The ARB o-ring seals at the diff are a wearable item if you use the vehicle a lot then you may want to go to a TJM or Eaton E-locker.

The reason i only bring up those 3 are because when you have a selectable the reason is you want the best of both worlds, best tire wear issues and mpg and full engagement when needed. The others have ls built into them and or cables too which defeats the reasoning...

You may have a issue with the installer, or possibly a defective unit, or worse you got a china copy and even the damn box of the ARB china copy is damn close, where is the leak ?
I wouldn't run away from ARB if it is a real arb, when you say leak ? are you saying it leaks so bad it doesn't even activate ??
Then someone is either not paying attention when inst or the seal is wrecked , or i have seen some shops test it with shop air at over 180 lbs and thats not good...

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
ghommel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Leaking inside diff. Where exactly is anybody's guess. Installer talked to ARB today and they are gonna send it in for ARB to put on their test bench for about 24 hrs and see what they find. Now they are thinking it is a bad internal seal since they can't blame preload or housing flex anymore. Installer shop guys are professional off road racers (SCORE, Ultra4) and I really think they know what they are doing. They used a case spreader and triple checked preload every time they put the ARB back in. BTW it is genuine ARB. Had serial # checked prior to install for verification. I'll post back once ARB delivers the verdict.
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

So it wasn't a china copy that's good... The arb only has the o-rings and the inner seal in front of the piston, so if it's leaking there then the inner seal is bad, however was the housing cleaned thoroughly prior to the arb going in ? usually the only thing wrecking that seal is dirty gear oil

]=Supershafts=[
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
RWKHausSupply
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildriver-3 View Post
So it wasn't a china copy that's good... The arb only has the o-rings and the inner seal in front of the piston, so if it's leaking there then the inner seal is bad, however was the housing cleaned thoroughly prior to the arb going in ? usually the only thing wrecking that seal is dirty gear oil
Just as an FYI..
A "china Copy" is almost non existent. They tried about 4 yrs ago. Then ARB tried to say it was Yukon offering the China knock off, when in fact it was a China company that tried to get some market share and folded fast and disappeared.

Its a very rear occurrence to have a leak from the get go, when a Qualified installer that knows why and how a ARB or Yukon Zip is installed how it is with shims put in the correct places etc...

I would Much rather have a ARB or Yukon Zip over a E-Locker. The odds of a air leak due the product (not some unqualified person just throwing it in there and routing the air hose poorly), over the failure of the E-locker actuator, if by far better on the air lockers out there. The E-Locker failing is MUCH more common and unless Eaton (the manufacturer) had for some reason recently shipped replacement parts to vendors, then trying to get a actuator might take you a month to 3 months, if at all.

Get them to fix it and then enjoy a select able locker that is by far stronger and typically more reliable then a electrical locker.
RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
ghommel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ARB bench tested locker and found the seal housing was leaking pretty bad. They replaced seal housing and no leaks were found on their test bench after that. The guys at the shop just got it back in the front end. Neither ARB or the shop charged me a dime. Pretty good service. I'll put it through it's paces (and then some) and post back how it's doing.
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
Just as an FYI..
A "china Copy" is almost non existent. They tried about 4 yrs ago.
That's not true, you can still get them pirated copies, it's not as rampant for the ARB pirated pieces but they're there and tons of other stuff.
However it was never a company doing it like it still isn't someone wanting to be a company now, it's people selling the genuine products here and talking with these pirating companies in china and having stuff basically stolen.
The companies in china are still pirating differential parts like lockers, gears, u-joints, driveline parts like slip yokes and weld yokes in stl and alum con rods, cranks, intake manifolds, heads, and it's all being made possible by WD's here in this country being greedy taking the company that made them pos and sending it there to be copied, and almost every jeep has those pirated parts in them.

People get caught up in the big flashy advertising and have no clue there buying pirated stuff from really the only good thing about those companies are the advertizing. However it is slowly killing the industry/sport/recreation they enjoy because these pos WD/suppliers/stores do not do R&D and eventually the places that are doing it aren't able to keep up with places selling there stolen pieces cheaper and those companies drop those production lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghommel View Post
ARB bench tested locker and found the seal housing was leaking pretty bad. They replaced seal housing and no leaks were found on their test bench after that. The guys at the shop just got it back in the front end. Neither ARB or the shop charged me a dime. Pretty good service. I'll put it through it's paces (and then some) and post back how it's doing.
I was wondering if the issue might have been the line connection or if it had a defect, should have no issues anymore they are very good, i have one and it's 24 or 25 yrs old now.

]=Supershafts=[

Tags
arb locker , dana 30 , Leaking , locker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.