D30 carrier clearance issue w/powertrax no slip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > D30 carrier clearance issue w/powertrax no slip

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Matz7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

D30 carrier clearance issue w/powertrax no slip

Hello guys, first post for me here. Search the forum and found nothing on this subject. I installed the powertrax no slip per instruction booklet that came with the locker. Carrier remained in the housing. Install went good, the go/ no go gauge check was good, but I noticed in back of carrier the gap was less, moved carrier 180 deg. and go/no go gauge was good still narrow gap on pinion side of carrier. Continued forward with install to the wheel test had trouble with this, passenger side had trouble staying locked in. So I jiggled the locker with screwdriver after awhile wheel tested passed. Thought maybe to much grease was applied during install. Closed up the axle for test drive on snow. Tested drive failed lots of ratcheting and no lockin of front tires. ��

Removed the carrier to disassemble. Noticed rubbing inside of carrier, don't think I can posted a pic but here's a summary. Coupler doesn't not rub, but the driver rubs ( round part not the flat side, the ends where pinion shaft goes through ) driver and coupler together rubs on carrier right where driver meets the coupler when driver teeth are fully engaged. Anyway I clearanced the carrier and reassembled wheel tested passed with flying colors, tested drive was awesome and love it now.

Sorry for the book but wanted you to understand
Anybody else have this happen

photo-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Matz7; 03-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: added picture
Matz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
switchback21

I will not have this problem with mine..... Well seeing how you are a pro now and will be installing mine with me... Lol
switchback21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
jabrown

D30 carrier clearance issue w/powertrax no slip

If I`m reading your post correctly, the od of the driver was rubbing the inside of the carrier where the cross pin spider gear bevel is. This typically has to do with a casting variation in a carrier. I have ran into this on other applications through the years. Sometimes the castings are a little thicker than normal. If you clearanced the carrier and fitment is now correct with no rubbing issue, all should be good.
jabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Matz7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jabrown

You are correct reading my post. I didn't realize this at first because I left the ring gear side axle in and did not think to spin tire and axle while coupler and driver were slid in to place. I sure you know but clearance was fine when driver/coupler were not fully engaged. (Don't think it would of rubbed ). Thought what I did was fine, it is definitly functioning properly now. Thanks
Matz7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.