D30 axle track bar mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > D30 axle track bar mount

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

D30 axle track bar mount

The bolt holes are wallowed out on my D30 axle trackbar mount, I have redrilled my trackbar for a larger bolt and drilled out the hole as a temporary solution but I would like to get a new mount on there. I have the ability to cut the stock bracketry off and fab up my own mount, and right now that is my first option. If anyone's done this and has some pictures that would be great. After some searching though I saw that for the JK JKS sells a replacement/reinforcement mount for the axle side trackbar bracket. Has anyone found one for the TJ/ZJ/XJ D30? Would be an easier route.

UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
86YJSEANVA
1986 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen people weld washes to the mount to bring it back to the bolt size needed and then just box and reinforce the stock mount. Works great on a local wheeling rig I've driven. Been holding up to our abuse for a year now.
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

A stepped washer might work for you? I think they're sometimes called a shoulder washer...
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here is what I did:
cut the front half of the stock mount with the wallowed hole off.

drill the rear hole to 9/16"

cut a peice of 3/16" with a 90* bend in it to fit over the stock mount, run it all the way back to the tube.

space it appropriately for the joint you are using, I used a 3/4" rod end with 9/16" misalignment spacers, so mine was 2" wide.

this is what you end up with.

I also made a new flag nut out of a 9/16" center-lock, and tied the mount into the stock sway-bar mount for extra strength.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
Here is what I did:
cut the front half of the stock mount with the wallowed hole off.

drill the rear hole to 9/16"

cut a peice of 3/16" with a 90* bend in it to fit over the stock mount, run it all the way back to the tube.

space it appropriately for the joint you are using, I used a 3/4" rod end with 9/16" misalignment spacers, so mine was 2" wide.

this is what you end up with.

I also made a new flag nut out of a 9/16" center-lock, and tied the mount into the stock sway-bar mount for extra strength.
Holy crap dude!
Unread 03-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Holy crap dude!
what? I am the owner of the most built turd ever... couldn't go around with a stock axle side TB mount
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Those are some real purdy LCA skids too.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Those are some real purdy LCA skids too.
that they are... can't wait to get them out and scratch them up
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what? I am the owner of the most built turd ever... couldn't go around with a stock axle side TB mount
Have you cycled your steering linkage with that set up? Mine barely kisses the factory bolt using the factory bracket. Also what's with the stack of washers? How much would a slightly shorter bolt cost?
Unread 03-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Have you cycled your steering linkage with that set up? Mine barely kisses the factory bolt using the factory bracket. Also what's with the stack of washers? How much would a slightly shorter bolt cost?
I'm running currie steering, and there is more than enough room between the bracket and the drag link. this bracket is only about 1/2" further out than the stock bracket.

that happened to be the only 9/16" bolt I had on a sunday when this bracket was made. its surprisingly hard to find 9/16" hardware on a sunday.

its actually a control arm bolt, the stack of washers was to keep it tight, there was a piece of 2"x2" in there to space it properly while it was welded, and the bolt kept the holes lined up.
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm running currie steering, and there is more than enough room between the bracket and the drag link. this bracket is only about 1/2" further out than the stock bracket.

that happened to be the only 9/16" bolt I had on a sunday when this bracket was made. its surprisingly hard to find 9/16" hardware on a sunday.

its actually a control arm bolt, the stack of washers was to keep it tight, there was a piece of 2"x2" in there to space it properly while it was welded, and the bolt kept the holes lined up.
Ok, so that's a pic of the work in progress, not the finished item... makes more sense now, lol!
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ok, so that's a pic of the work in progress, not the finished item... makes more sense now, lol!
that pic is after it was all welded up, sitting on jackstands waiting for re-install in the vehicle.

I never did take a pic of it re-installed, I'd go out and snap a completed pic, right now, but it's raining
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Forgot I posted this a while back, oops! Here is what I ended up doing.
Cut the stock mount out.

2x3 box that had the same inner diameter as my IRO track bar

Tacked into place

Burned in, I swear the welds look a lot better in person :booyaid these with a Hobart 140 with flux core. Really cant wait to get a 187 and run gas on it

Got dark after I painted it. I also rounded off the bottom corner of the box and did some work with a flap wheel for some more blingage.
UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
NH2112
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's a little late, but how about finding a piece of steel tube/sleeve of the correct ID and long enough to go through the bracket with about 1/8" sticking out in the front so you can tack it in place, and drill out the holes in the bracket to achieve a transition fit for the sleeve. Install the track bar, slide the sleeve in and tack in place, then secure using the bolt.

'90 YJ w/4.2l & 4.0l head, Weber carb, 5-speed, 4" RC lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG MT KM2s.

Last edited by NH2112; 05-20-2012 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Damn you autocorrect!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2112 View Post
It's a little late, but how about finding a piece of steel tubof peeve of the correct ID and long enough to go through the bracket with about 1/8" sticking out in the front so you can tack it in place, and drill out the holes in the bracket to achieve a transition fit for the sleeve. Install the track bar, slide the sleeve in and tack in place, then secure using the bolt.
can you type that again so it can be understood?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.