D18 twin stick question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > D18 twin stick question

Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
tytrev
Something Witty!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

D18 twin stick question

Just got a 62 CJ5 with an original D18 TC (my first twin stick). I can't get the "high low" stick into low while in 2WD. Low will only engage if the 4WD stick is in the 4WD position. I thought the point of a twin stick was the ability to engage the low gearing in the TC while being in 2WD mode? Is this not the case? The sticks don't really feel faulty or wrong...it just won't get into low in 2WD.

tytrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytrev View Post
Just got a 62 CJ5 with an original D18 TC (my first twin stick). I can't get the "high low" stick into low while in 2WD. Low will only engage if the 4WD stick is in the 4WD position. I thought the point of a twin stick was the ability to engage the low gearing in the TC while being in 2WD mode? Is this not the case? The sticks don't really feel faulty or wrong...it just won't get into low in 2WD.
Nope. Folks are modifying their t cases to do this. Stock, the manufactures wanted to make sure some yahoo didn't overload the rear axle by dropping the t case into low and pulling a locomotive.
You can disassemble the t case and remove the interlock pill. This will allow you to drop into 2 low.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
tytrev
Something Witty!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! As soon as I open it up for a rebuild...it will be done.
tytrev is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.