Cylinder head - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-03-2002, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Josh

Cylinder head

I was wondering if anyone here has put the 4.0 cylinder head onto a 4.2 motor and if so, how much power did you pick up, and what is the cost the head whether it was new or used, thanks guys

1987 Wrangler, mods...currently torn apart, working on new motor, SOA, Dana 300, d44 front, ford 9 rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-04-2002, 02:58 PM
sixpak
1972 CJ5 

Hello, In my opinion it is the single best mod you can do for the 4.2. You will hear that it is not possible without filling the water jacket holes in the head. I would suggest putting it on using the STOCK 4.0 head gasket and giving it a whirl. Chances are that it will be fine as this is what I did with my sand drag motor and it worked fine for two seasons until I built my own stroker motor using the 4.0 block. It is possible that after insalling the head that it may leak between the head and block and if so it will be noticable during filling the motor will antifreeze or the first test drive usually. I also suggest getting an aftermarket cam based on your intended use for the motor. Don't forget to pick up the intake and exhaust manifolds too. Make your own adapter for the injected intake, plug the injector holes and happy motoring! I did this mod back in 89 or so and the race car picked up 3 tenths on a 300 foot sand drag track with no other changes.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-04-2002, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Josh

Thanks for the reply, I what about putting it on a block out of a CJ Jeep, as I hear the motors are slightly different, this will be a daily driver, anything I can do about the water jackets? thanks again

1987 Wrangler, mods...currently torn apart, working on new motor, SOA, Dana 300, d44 front, ford 9 rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.