"CV Axles" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > "CV Axles"

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

"CV Axles"

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52400_1904.htm

I have a question about those things: why would they be any stronger than a U-joint axle? It is my understanding that a CV joint still uses U-joints. So wouldn't that just be a regular U-joint axle with a cover around the U-joint?

”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Right from the page you linked:
No U joints... They basically spread out the load over a greater area, making them much stronger and reliable. You can read the little captions on the photo that explain why RCV are better than standard U joints. I run RCV shafts and love them. They work expecially well with lockers when the wheels are at full turn. Oh and this too: "backed with a "No Questions Asked" limited lifetime warranty."

IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Evildriver-3
1995 ZJ 

CV is used to mean constant velocity joint, which all joints are so cv is used as another meaning for u-joints.

But we use cv to describe joints that run larger angles such as dual cv's or joints used in a h-yoke, the above picture we call rzeppa's since it is a rzeappa joint, however it is another form of a constant velocity joint.

The rzeppa design is better

Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck
]=Supershafts=[
Long Island Motorsports Association
Evildriver-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Awesome
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, I get it now. I didn't see that image on the Quadratec page. Ball bearing design is superior....... but it makes me wonder how well it handles dust, dirt and mud. I can't imagine the polyurethane cover keeps it 100% sealed.

Does their "limited" lifetime warranty allow you to send broken shafts in for free replacements?
”This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!” ~Adolph Hitler, 1935, on The Weapons Act of Nazi Germany
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Okay, I get it now. I didn't see that image on the Quadratec page. Ball bearing design is superior....... but it makes me wonder how well it handles dust, dirt and mud. I can't imagine the polyurethane cover keeps it 100% sealed.

Does their "limited" lifetime warranty allow you to send broken shafts in for free replacements?
The boots are the hardest part to install. It takes a lot of strenght to put them on - if I remember right, the instructions mention having someone help you burp air out of the boot cover with a flat head screw driver while you push it down over the rcv end - that should give you an idea of how good the seal is. Plus they're packed with grease. Probably sealed better than any rubber CV joint boot on the market. Ive personally gone through sand/mud/deep water with zero issues.

Unless its changed since I purchased them, the warranty is: “You break it and we’ll replace it”.

Their web site covers just about any question you may have.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Right from the page you linked:
No U joints... They basically spread out the load over a greater area, making them much stronger and reliable. You can read the little captions on the photo that explain why RCV are better than standard U joints. I run RCV shafts and love them. They work expecially well with lockers when the wheels are at full turn. Oh and this too: "backed with a "No Questions Asked" limited lifetime warranty."

They broke? Well I guess you reached the limit, sorry
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.