Cutting out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Cutting out

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
DALY
1982 CJ5 

Cutting out

I have a CJ5, 4 cylinder that "cuts out" while I am driving down the road. It doesnt die, just "coughs" as my wife puts it....any thoughts or ideas?
We are new to jeeping and just went through emissions for the second time, first time failed the pressure test. I changed a few hoses and got a passing grade. Ready for the road but would like to figure out the issue of cutting out. Doesn't do it all the time, mostly intermittent.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Daly

DALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

Sounds like it might be running out of fuel do you still have the emissions report tell me the readings could also be in the distributor is the timing set correctly when was the last tune up and what was done to it check the fuel filter
Wrenchtwister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
DALY
1982 CJ5 

Thanks for the reply.
The emissions results were;
hydrocarbons 1.46
Carbon monoxide 22.61
NOX 2.96

Not sure on the tuneup, or the distributor. The kids have had it for awhile.
Seems to idle fine, how would I check the fuel filiter?
Thanks!
Daly
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

I would start with a tune up replace the spark plugs wires,spark plugs, distributor cap,rotor,pcv valve,fuel filter, check the timing, adjust the carb to start with the carbon monoxide is really high its actually over fueling the carb might need a rebuild or you have internal eng problems also if you have a compression tester check the compression it kinda seems like camshaft is going flat I would start with a compression test first before anyrhing then let me know what the readings are
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
DALY
1982 CJ5 

Thanks for the info! I will start with the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and PCV valve and go from there.
Thanks again!
Daly
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
DALY
1982 CJ5 

I changhed the distributor cap, rotor, and PCV valve and thought I had it fixed. foound a post on the distributor cap broken off. Ran it for about 20 miles total the last few days and it started to do the same thing. I dont have a timing light or a compression tester, the plugs and wires are almost new. The carb I was told was recently rebuilt. I will look for the fuel filter, didnt check that as of yet...
Still trying to figure this out.
Thanks Daly
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

You can rent a compression tester and timing light from a local parts house if you buy alot of stuff from them they may just let you use it
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

How about the spark plugs and wires
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

The plug could be fouled out on the cylinder with a broken dist tower
Unread 08-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchtwister13 View Post
The plug could be fouled out on the cylinder with a broken dist tower
And the wires could be cracked internally from being handled during the dizzy cap replacement. You want reliability? Don't cheap out. Replace the fuel filter, too.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
DALY
1982 CJ5 

Well I think I, we, figured it out. Remember I havent with mechanical stuff for many years. I am a Paramedic, not a mechanic...haha! My neighbor has a friend who is a "jeep expert", so he came over and bottom line was I would exchange the carb since he felt it was a fuel issue. My neighbor, who is as much of a mechanic as myself, asked about the fuel filter so we checked the fuel filter and it was plugged, $1.50 for a filter, (I got a spare just in case), put it in and runs like a champ! Go figure...
I appreciate everyone's advice. I look forward to tinkering with this CJ5 for a long time...
Thanks!
Daly

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.