Cracked Engine Block - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Cracked Engine Block

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
dylan254
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cracked Engine Block

My 97 TJ finally took a dump. The 4.0 L engine started to get a ticking noise and we looked into what it might be and could not figure it out. When we did find out what the problem was it was too late. We had driven it across town and it started to over heat really quickly so we shut it off, I checked the oil and the dip stick looked like it just got pulled out of a cup of coffee with a whole bunch of cream in it. It was nasty. Well now I'm going to replace the whole engine. I want to know what other people have put into their TJ or have ideas on what would be good to have as a daily driver but also able to go 4 wheeling. I still want to keep it a manual. So let me know what you all think would be best but also at a reasonable price.

dylan254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Easiest by far and cheapest option would be to replace the 4.0L
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you can come up with a used bolt in, I would choose a small block chevy. It will cost about the same to do it and you may as well get the v8 power if yer gonna get crappy mileage anyway. When my 4.2 croaks that is exactly what I am going to do.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Easiest by far and cheapest option would be to replace the 4.0L
x2
This option is a direct drop in. While I'm all for v-8's and more power, there are alot of things that pop up during the swap that can raise the cost in a hurry. Plus all the aspects you don't think about until you are breaking axles at every turn. More power means weak points are more easily exposed. Plus cost of adapters and or swapping the trans/t-case, radiator, etc. You didn't say what type of wheeling you do so I don't know if you are looking for more power or if you were happy with the 4.0 engine.

If you are planning on going bigger with axles, wheels tires and all that down the road anyway then go for the v-8. If you were happy with the 6 cylinder and don't want the headache of re-engineering your entire drive train, then drop another one in and call it a day.

Good Luck!
jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
dylan254
1997 TJ Wrangler 

@jjmoonen

Well this is what we have found so far so I think it's safe to say we are going to just put a new engine in. The 4.0 worked fine but wasn't the greatest. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and have family down in hollister so for wheeling we do trail type of stuff so it's not too hard on the jeep because its our daily driver.
image-3874807121.jpg  
dylan254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan254 View Post
@jjmoonen

Well this is what we have found so far so I think it's safe to say we are going to just put a new engine in. The 4.0 worked fine but wasn't the greatest. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and have family down in hollister so for wheeling we do trail type of stuff so it's not too hard on the jeep because its our daily driver.
Based on your pic it looks like its only a piston that went south> I cant tell from your pic if there is a hole in the block or not (I will certainly take your word for it). If its just the piston though, that could very likely be rebuilt if the block is still ok. If that is the case, build yourself a stroker out of the 4.0. Gain some cubic inches and some more power for sure. Then you would still have the stock configuration as far as the block and everything would still bolt right up. I have not priced stroker kits for the 4.0 in a long time, but I cant imagine its any more than a v-8 swap........especially if you can use your block.
jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 liter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.