a couple questions for 88yj (pinging and lift) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > a couple questions for 88yj (pinging and lift)

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
dlebo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so as i have bought an 88 yj recently i have come across a couple issues the first being that, after 8mo of storage before i bought it, the rms (rear main seal) pooched on me and puked a bunch of oil all over the place... Fixed. No more oil leak other than the small valve cover leak that is getting fixed today.
Now onto my next question. I have some pinging under load after about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle continuing to full throttle and was just wondering what the most likely causes of this might be. I have gone through the timing range and at a setting of 0 deg i have an awefully crappy lack of power. But at about 5 or 6 deg of advance the power comes back. The pinging is a constant throughout the whole range. My thoughts are the timing chain has slipped a tooth, or it just has carbon buildup somethin fierce?? But i am open to other thoughts.
Now for another question. I am looking at putting a lift in my yj and most likely running 33" tires. So with this in mind what would the best setup be?? Right now suspension is stock with a 3" body lift :-( (i really dislike body lift) One other question is with 33" tires am i going to be losing a ton of power??
Thanks,
Denny

Last edited by dlebo; 07-24-2013 at 05:45 PM..
dlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe wrong heat range plugs, carbon buildup, bad distributor, worn timing chain, or faulty/misadjusted vacuum advance. Just what I can think of.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
dlebo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah i think my vaccuum advance is pooched springs might be fried.
dlebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.