Cost for swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Cost for swap

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
wahala
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cost for swap

I am changing the ring and pinon in my 2002 TJ (35 rear, 30 front). I don't have the time to do this work my self, and found a local mechanic who is asking about $440 per axle for labor, is that a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance

wahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It seems like $300/axle is average around here.

$440 might be reasonable for your area.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Kornik
Not so newbie :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahala
I am changing the ring and pinon in my 2002 TJ (35 rear, 30 front). I don't have the time to do this work my self, and found a local mechanic who is asking about $440 per axle for labor, is that a reasonable price?
Thanks in advance
Make some calls around in the range you are willing to travel. Unless you want to just depress yourself.

Here in Iowa I have a shop which does ring/pinion change with axle in car for $220. I did it with them and I'm very pleased with results. But shipping axle from Colorado and back would probably kill the deal.

Plus define "labor" - does it cover only workmanship or install kit too? I've seen some shops that charge you only for r&p and labor - which forces you to look a little bit differently on their prices.
Kornik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What part of Colorado are you in? I have been quoted much lower prices from several shops in CO. I have had two different shops change out mine and both ended up around $300 or so.

Are you putting lockers in, or just changing gears?
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
wahala
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the feedback. I live in Southern Colorado, San Luis Valley. Not a lot down here, except for a lot of places to go 4 wheeling. Prices tend to be higher here as most of the work is for touristas. I am having lockers installed as part of the labor.
wahala is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.