Coolant in transmission fluid!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Coolant in transmission fluid!!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
sdprivett
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Coolant in transmission fluid!!

I just bought my first jeep! A 1997 xj country with 191k no rust! for $1900. Had it for maybe 4 days checked the transmission fluid and it was milky pink. Checked coolant and it looked like mud. Took radiator off today and going to replace tomorrow but any ideas for transmission? Don't have money to put a new one in. It has shifted perfectly fine with no hard shifts or slips but I know it at least needs flushed. I guess my question is if anyone else has had this problem and knows if I could get lucky with just the flush. I'm trying to stay positive but I've had it for under a week and already this...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

sdprivett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Flush it, and pray, if it has had coolant in it long, an auto trans is going to be toast most likely. If it's is a manual, I am at a loss how coolant and trans could mix. With auto, I am afraid you'll find that friction material does not like coolant at all.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
sdprivett
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply, it is an auto but hoping the flush and some Lucas trans fix can buy me a couple months.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
sdprivett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do not use any snake oil stuff. Flush with correct fluid. You'll likely need to flush 2 or 3 times. To get the converter well flushed. Probably be atf+4 but verify that.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
1977chieftainS
1977 FSJ Cherokee 

I have a 99 xj fluids should be dexron 3 or dexmerc since dex3 is being phased out be sure to check and see if the tranfercase has coolant in it. on mine the fluid can flow between the two
1977chieftainS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.