Converting my XJ to a ford 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Converting my XJ to a ford 8.8

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
94CherokeeXJ

Converting my XJ to a ford 8.8

I'm weighing in the option of putting a Ford 8.8 in my rear end. What all am i going to need to change and accomdate for in this swap?

94CherokeeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
94CherokeeXJ

neone?........
Unread 03-22-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
GSXMEN

This is taken from M.O.R.E.
---------------------------------

Are you having trouble with the stock Dana 35 rear axle in your Jeep® XJ Cherokee, or YJ Wrangler? If you have installed tires larger then stock, chances are that you are. We have found the answer, and it is a very simple swap. The Ford 8.8 rear axle assembly from a Explorer is super heavy duty, and is very simple to install.
It's features are as follows: Same lug nut bolt pattern. Disc brakes (95 & newer). 31 spline axle shafts. 8.8" diameter ring gear (D35 is 7.5"). 120% stronger then D35. Only 20 pounds more then D35. Trac-loc differential stock (woppie-do, I know, who cares!). 3-1/4" diameter tubes (strong!).

You are required to find the complete rear axle assembly from a 95 or newer Ford Explorer, from a salvage yard. Then, remove (torch) the Ford mounts (spring, & anti-sway bar). You may also need to change the gear ratio as most Explorers have 3:73. The installation kit that we sell gives you the following: New, weld-on anti-wrap spring mounts, weld on shock mounts, U-bolts and U-bolt plates.

The width is almost the same. It is 5/8" per side narrower then the D35. This is a very minor draw back, and will work if you have wheels with less back-space then stock. If you have stock wheel back-spacing, then we have hub-centric wheel spacers available. We also have the correct cables for the emergency brake available as a kit, that are a direct bolt on, and super high quality. No cutting or custom fitting.

Note: The Ford 8.8 is not compatible with anti-lock brake equipped Jeep® vehicles!

------------------------------------------

Depending on what gear ratio you'll need, I have a 3.73 Trac-Loc 8.8 Explorer disc brake rear for sale. I'll also be picking up a 3.73 open disk brake rear this weekend. Shoot me an email or PM if interested.

The 8.8 into an XJ looks to be one of the easier swaps. MORE's kit below has new leaf spring perches and shock mounts.

*PM or email if you need an 8.8 with 4.10 gears - open or Trac-Loc*
GSXMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #4
-Jer-

it's not a simple bolt on mod. The 8.8 is set up for spring under. You will have to remove the original hardware then install a kit like the one mentioned above. You will also have the issue of gears. If the gears in your donor axle dont match your current front axle you will be needing new gears to get them to match.

The extra strength and disc brakes the 8.8 offers makes it a sweet swap. It's true it is one of the "easier" swaps but I wanted to point out it is not a simple bolt on mod.

good luck with your project

[URL="http://forum.4x4trailhunters.com/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=1&"]Check out my blog[/URL]
-Jer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
GSXMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94CherokeeXJ
I'm weighing in the option of putting a Ford 8.8 in my rear end. What all am i going to need to change and accomdate for in this swap?
Do you already have the 8.8, and where are you located?

*PM or email if you need an 8.8 with 4.10 gears - open or Trac-Loc*
GSXMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
94CherokeeXJ

I'm in wenatchee, washington. I was researching it, but found an XJ dana 44 for 270 bucks w/ tax, and because the 8.8 and 44 are close in strength, and the 44 is less work I went with the 44. Now im just cleaning it all up and fixin any thing thats wrong with it, and changing the gears in it.
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
ringpinion.biz

We are in wenatchee too.

We are in wenatchee too. We have gears, lockers, etc, all in stock here! Yes thats right in wenatchee.
JTS Parts & Accessories
406 S wenatchee AVe
509-888-AXLE
info@justdifferentials.com
www.justdifferentials.com
http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2151670/i//J_T_button120X60.JPG
ringpinion.biz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.