Convert a 4.0 WJ from auto to manual - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Convert a 4.0 WJ from auto to manual

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
TheOutlawTorn
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Convert a 4.0 WJ from auto to manual

Could you take a 5 speed off a 4.0 TJ or LJ and convert it to fit a WJ with a 4.0.. This is my first post.. just wanted to stir up an idea.. I thought they may have similar bolt up points because both transmission are made for the same engine. But knowing how stuff like this usually goes it probably isn't easy. Just wanted to ask before I get my transmission rebuilt, went out with 215k on it.. The engine is still fine and in good shape. And I plan to run my Cherokee til it dies, so I'm willing to put money into rebuilding it..

..She'll make it 300k regardless..

TheOutlawTorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The hard part is the clutch pedal. As it never came with a stick shift. Next is the check engine light-ECM as it will be looking for response from the auto-trans and not seeing it.It will not pass a smog test if needed in your local. Longer-shorter driveshafts.
Otherwise it is a great idea.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
TheOutlawTorn
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Auto trans is getting rebuild as we speak. I just wanted to know if it was possible, I mean they are the same engine between the two Jeeps. Just the connection between them, clutch and flywheel, will be different. I could get a Wrangler computer and install it, maybe, or reprogram my computer to think its a Wrangler transmission.

Thanks Ron.

Chris
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The time and costs involved for your proposed swap would far exceed any added value. With enough money and skills, any swap is "possible", the question is do you have the time/money/skills required ?

A TJ computer will not work in a WJ.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't want my tranny to be rigged. You're gonna lose some of the WJ's bells & whistles if you change the computer. I'd go shopping for a WJ with a manual.
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
I'd go shopping for a WJ with a manual.
You'd be shopping for an exceptionally long time for something that doesn't even exist.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
TheOutlawTorn
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
You'd be shopping for an exceptionally long time for something that doesn't even exist.
That's what I was going to say...

I don't plan on doing this, I just wanted to ask if it was at all possible.
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If I had a WJ, I wouldn't wheel it. They weren't designed for heavy, intentional wheeling. The front and rear approach and departure angles are terrible. The body is huge compared to my XJ, but the WJ still has the same tiny axles. The weight of the body has made my buddy look like an idiot w/ no lift and 32's. It's lifted but sagging bad.
Comfort is one thing, but for wheeling I'd rather have a ZJ at least, even though the departure angles on those ain't much better.
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
TheOutlawTorn
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
If I had a WJ, I wouldn't wheel it. They weren't designed for heavy, intentional wheeling. The front and rear approach and departure angles are terrible. The body is huge compared to my XJ, but the WJ still has the same tiny axles. The weight of the body has made my buddy look like an idiot w/ no lift and 32's. It's lifted but sagging bad.
Comfort is one thing, but for wheeling I'd rather have a ZJ at least, even though the departure angles on those ain't much better.
I only wheel my Jeep when I have to. I have some gripy tires on it, only a size bigger than stock, where if it needs to perform it can. Such as going out to my Cabin on its rocky trail road. The way to look at a WJ is like looking at a Wagoneer. It is made for luxury but it has the capabilities if they are needed. So I agree with you completely. If it an't made to do it stock, it isn't intended to ever do it, though anything is possible..
Unread 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutlawTorn

I only wheel my Jeep when I have to. I have some gripy tires on it, only a size bigger than stock, where if it needs to perform it can. Such as going out to my Cabin on its rocky trail road. The way to look at a WJ is like looking at a Wagoneer. It is made for luxury but it has the capabilities if they are needed. So I agree with you completely. If it an't made to do it stock, it isn't intended to ever do it, though anything is possible..
Just for the fun of it, park next to an XJ, 2 & 4 dr are the same size, and take a look at the size of the body. Taller, wider, & longer with the same wheel base. I'd leave the WJ stock, and buy an XJ to curb the fever.
I'm sure your WJ is full of bells and whistles, some mods will cause you to sacrifice some of them, mostly sensors
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
tell that to these guys

agitatedpancake:

SaturnICL:

WJs are great wheeling machines, they just a need a tad more work to get there.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Exacly, to put them in proper proportion, you're lookin' at 35's to 38.5's.$$$$$$$$$$...and you've lost your luxurious DD.
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The first pic, the blue WJ looks like he's had issues with his hood too.
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
TheOutlawTorn
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ

tell that to these guys

agitatedpancake:

SaturnICL:

WJs are great wheeling machines, they just a need a tad more work to get there.
Agitatedpancake has a 5 speed in his WJ..
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutlawTorn View Post
Agitatedpancake has a 5 speed in his WJ..
yes he does. Plus he has the time/money/skills required lol.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.