considering this axle set... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > considering this axle set...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
alisa65
1979 CJ7 

considering this axle set...

I found an axle set from a ford 9" (unsure what year as of right now) with a 3.55 gear ratio (front or rear, unsure). It is at a junk yard and the guy needs to double check on the ID. It is a 5.5 lug pattern. If it is a match, he wants $600 for the set. My 79 CJ7 is a wide axle with a (broken) rear amc 20 3.54, so assuming front dana 30 is 3.55. Front dana is still good. I was told I may have to cut down the axle if I get it. Any thoughts on whether it will fit, what I will need to do to it and is this a good price? And how do I tell what front axle I have for sure?

alisa65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a lot of work/cost to make the used axle work. by the time your done you will be close to buying a pro built new axle with some kind of warranty. Unless you can do all the work yourself sounds a bit iffy.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
BrokeWJ
1999 WJ 

Depends on the year- most trucks got wider in the '90s. If it's not one of those it's probably not too far off but perches will likely be different. That should add at least $100 if you aren't doing it yourself.

Sounds like too high of a price for a half ton rear you may need to mod.
BrokeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisa65 View Post
I found an axle set from a ford 9" (unsure what year as of right now) with a 3.55 gear ratio (front or rear, unsure). It is at a junk yard and the guy needs to double check on the ID. It is a 5.5 lug pattern. If it is a match, he wants $600 for the set. My 79 CJ7 is a wide axle with a (broken) rear amc 20 3.54, so assuming front dana 30 is 3.55. Front dana is still good. I was told I may have to cut down the axle if I get it. Any thoughts on whether it will fit, what I will need to do to it and is this a good price? And how do I tell what front axle I have for sure?
Right now I have a 9" out of a '78 Bronco I am going to narrow for my CJ6 to wide track width. Looks like I will have to narrow it about 10" total. Also have the front high pinion Dana 44 but, am going to use a Dana 44 axle out of a '77 Wagoneer, only have to cut 4" out of the drivers side tube and move the spring mount.

Trouble with the Bronco front axle is in 1978 Ford went to a large casting on the inner-C that is not able to be readily cut down, unless you are going to retain the Ford radius arms. '77 and earlier Ford Dana 44 front axles had the mounts for the radius arms welded onto the tube and can be removed to narrow and convert to leaf spring suspension. Also the Ford front axles have the pumpkin on the drivers side, CJs have the pumpkin on the passenger side unless you are going to also swap the transfer case!

Another nice thing about the '77 Wagoneer axle is it is factory spring under axle and has the mounting pad already on the center casting in the right location for the swap. After pulling the axle out of the donor I figured out 2 more advantages to the Wagoneer axle, it has flat top steering knuckles that if I ever want to run high steer it is ready, and the tie rods are also mounted on the TOP of the steering arms. So I don't have to do a tie rod end flip.

Last edited by y2k-fxst; 08-24-2014 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: hit wrong button
y2k-fxst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Got to thinking for $600 I hope is for a "set" as in both axles. Even at $300 per axle seems kind of spendy to me. My 9" rear was already under my CJ6 I bought for $850, my Wagoneer axle I bought a rusty shell (no interior, motor, trans, or transfer case) for $300 pulled the axle and steering box out. Hope to get at least $200 back out of what is left at the scrapers. When buying axles like this take into account unless you get real lucky and find one the width you need,with limited slip or locker, and in the ratio you want, you are going to have at least $1,000 more in each axle to get it to where you want it. More if you cannot set it up properly and have a professional do it. Even more if you do it yourself and do it wrong!

If you want a 9" Ford for the rear look on Craig's List, find a parts 1/2 ton truck or Bronco for cheap and pull the parts you need. If there is anything else good you can resell to make it even cheaper. This was not the case with my Wagoneer but, got it cheap enough not to worry too much about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.