Computer failing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Computer failing

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
afgd1
1984 CJ7 

Computer failing

Have 2002 liberty starts but won't stay running,unless keep giving gas . Checked grounds , all okay. Where can I get computer rebuilt or new one cheaper then dealer

afgd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
tfink
1993 ZJ 

Pick and pull, napa, parts store, crashed lib of same year look around I would say
tfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am wondering what diagnostic and testing methods did you use to to exclude the other more common and logical causes of your symptoms ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

So the thing wont idle unless you give it throttle, and you think it needs a computer? Not doubting your diagnosis but if you are making a guess then you might want to consider easier, simpler, cheaper things first. Do you have any codes? Have you check for vacuum leaks, checked the idle air control valve (IAC) and throttle body for deposits? Without seeing your Jeep I would first suspect a vacuum leak or a gummed up IAC/Throttle body. Either of those two concerns should be found/verified fairly easy and possibly fixed cheap.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
afgd1
1984 CJ7 

no had local shop put on computer, there the ons who said tha i need a computer. When it started it would run for awhile, then die then i was told to check all grounds, and after checking and cleaning all grounds , now wont stay running, so going into town to get new grounding wires . i have checked fuel and spark and all electric wires,
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgd1 View Post
....starts but won't stay running, unless keep giving gas
This is a common symptom of low battery voltage from a failing battery, dirty/loose/damaged battery wires or alternator wires, a faulty alternator.

Blaming the computer is common when the the service technician has poor diagnostic skills or is just lazy. I would find a better shop to work on your vehicles.

Always start with the free and easy solutions, then work your way to the cheap and simple solutions before you spend big dollars on repairs. Don't open you hood and your wallet and simply throw new parts at a problem in the hopes that you accidentally fix it.

Are all your tune-up parts fresh ? Has the Throttle body and Idle Air Controller been cleaned ? Have you recently used a bottle of fuel injector cleaner ? Was the fuel pressure tested ? Were the fuel injectors tested ? All the battery and alternator wires should be inspected, cleaned, and firmly re-attached. How old is the battery ? Have you had it Load Tested ? Did the Technician perform any diagnostic tests on the computer itself ?

At the minimum I would suggest getting a second opinion at another better equipped shop.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
afgd1
1984 CJ7 

Hey thanks for info,throttle body needed to be cleaned. Running like new jeep! Thanks for all the help. Better here then paying crap mech. Thanks again

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.