Complete Drivetrain Swap 97 TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Complete Drivetrain Swap 97 TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

if you live in a CARB state, thanks to them it will NEVER PASS. CARB regs say if you swap motors it must be same year or newer. lol hell you can get better emissions than stock and pass any test they can give you but if its a older motor its a FAIL.

Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I honestly don't know how you could even hook that motor up to an obd2 system so it wont pass in that matter
Tbi is not a very clean system so it will make passing the emissions hard with that setup
Hooking up only one side to an 02 sensor is asking for trouble
I'm telling you this for a reason
I just don't want you to get burned when you go to inspect it
Most guys don't care but if it's not right, they won't pass it
And if the motor is not newer then your keep
Which the CPU has burned into it's memory if it has a CPU that new it will be an auto fail there as well
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok well I am going to eat my pride and admit I was completely wrong. As much as I want the engine in my jeep, I can't. Now I need to find a 4.0L 6cyl. Paired with an AX-15 tranny out of a 97 or newer. Anyone know of somewhere I can get a great deal on one?
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Craig's list and the jeep forum classifieds
They are the reason I never have any more money haha
Glad you came around to your senses
Have you looked at what's involved with a 4.0 swap???
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not entirely yet. Looking into a 4.0 with tranny an tcase and harness for 800 still getting info on it. Can you enlighten me on the procedure? I assume a ton easier than the 350 swap is any of it bolt in?
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #21
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Driving down sunday to pick up a 4.0L 6 Cyl. with AX-15 tranny, transfer case, rear driveshaft, radiator, fan shroud, wiring harness and ecu and a few other misc parts for my 97 on sunday. All parts are out of a 98 and have 208K but I am picking them up for cheap. I m sure it won't hurt to give the engine a rebuild in the semi near future but I just watched the video of the engine running just before removal and the video's metadata suggest the true recoding date is 2/28/2012 so it was recent and the engine sounded mint, idled steady and held on cold start, oil pressure was right and all sounds to be running strong. I know There will be some engine mount rehab, and such but the neighbor up the road has all the tools and JUST finished the same swap at noon today was the test run. So i think I am finally looking at getting my baby some power under the hood and going to do it right =) Wish me luck and any additional info anyone wants to through in is much appreciated.

Tags
350 , 8.8 , chevy , ford , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.