Complete Drivetrain Swap 97 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Complete Drivetrain Swap 97 TJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Complete Drivetrain Swap 97 TJ

So I am almost POSITIVE that there is already a thread up here for this but I was having trouble finding it. Although I have some different situations. What I am doing is an entire engine Drive train swap into my 97 TJ Wrangler. I have a 97 with the 2.5L 4 cyl. with the AX5 manual transmission. What I am going to swap into it is a Carburated 5.7L Chevy 350 v8. Obviously my current tranny won't work, at least not for very long. I am taking the 3 Speed auto tranny from the same donor truck as the engine. They are coming from a 1990 Chevy K2500 3/4 Ton truck. Rotting like a mother. The Tranny is the TH400 tranny with 4x4. here is the link to check it out. (http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th400.htm). The rear axel from the truck is only a 3.73 Gear Ratio. I already have a Ford 8.8 with 3.73 gears which I am more inclined to use. that all seems doable with buying brackets and welding. My big questions are this. 1. What front axel swap is best for pairing with the Ford 8.8 3.73. and what should I do with the Carb 350 motor as far as hooking it up to my ecu??? I have the brain in the donor truck I can use, but how to hook it up to pass emissions, not give me check engine code etc. Any help is appreciated even if its simply posting links to other posts I should read. I don't have a ton of cash so this project will more than likely take place next summer, but I am starting my research and buying what I can now to bang this project out in a couple weeks. Also I will spend this year prepping the axles and maybe rebuilding the 350. Thanks again!!!

Unread 03-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If your vehicle is obd2 or newer normally 96+ as your tj is
It will not pass Emissions with a carburetor
I repeat WILL NOT PASS EMISSIONS!!!
Motor swaps are to be the same year engine or newer
why in your right mind would you want a carbureted 350?? An think it will pass emissions ?!??!
Stop before you take another step there
Plus as far as I'm aware there is no was to hook the jeep ECM to a carbureted vehicle
I hope someone else chimes in here who has experience with swaping motors to say yay or neigh

A much better solution for you would be a ls series motor
It is obd2 from the factory
Gives much better driveability then the old 350 and the fuel mileage is amazing with them
There are not much more expensive either and will be a way better option that will actually pass emissions
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As for an axle
I don't know what you want to run for tires so that makes it hard to recommend
If you are staying 35's and under grab a high pinion Dana 30 from a Cherokee.
Many had 3.73 in them and will bolt right in

For your 8.8 arctec makes a really nice truss that also locates the entire suspension very easily
I welded one onto my buddies 8.8 and was very impressed, not a bad price either
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I was going to go with a carb 350 because I have one that was free, recently rebuilt and have total of 90k miles. I think the HP Dana 30 from a Cherokee might not be a bad idea. So long as it is 3.73. And by ls series you mean an ls series 350? I m not familiar with the 350s
Unread 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm referring to the gen 3 LS series motors. The 5.3L and the 6.0L, and the commonly known LS2.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Question. I know you said WILL NOT pass emotions but why? Is it simply that the o2 sensors are going to have far to high of readings? Or are there other reasons? I ask because I am considering getting the ecu flashed again. Idk why my ecu was flashed but it was flashed before I bought it. I might try to locate who flashed it and re flash it.
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeepMyers
Question. I know you said WILL NOT pass emotions but why? Is it simply that the o2 sensors are going to have far to high of readings? Or are there other reasons? I ask because I am considering getting the ecu flashed again. Idk why my ecu was flashed but it was flashed before I bought it. I might try to locate who flashed it and re flash it.
It won't pass as that motor series just can not meet the emission needed
The carburetors can not keep that motor at a proper A/F ratio to pass emissions as a proper MPFI system can
Also a carbureted system doesn't have a o2 sensor system, no TP, map, Ck and other needed sensors that a emissions system needs to operate properly plus are there any provisions for an evap system with proper charcoal canister venting to the manifold????
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Upon a little more research it seems the engine in question isn't actually a carb engine. It appears to be a TBI (Throttle Body Injection.) Still not quite MPFI but as far as I can gather, there is a chance it will be able to meet emissions with some work. Does this seem logical to you NBFarmboy?
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

More doable
But I still have to ask
If this must meet inspection requirements then you probably plan on using it daily driving correct
In that case why would you want a 350???
I know they are easy but the power they make and the mileage they get SUCKS!!!
I have two Freinds with 350 swaps
One tbi one carb
Neither get more then 11 mpg ever and there not that impressive power wise
One on 33's one on 35s
My old 4.0 made better power
Both used ax-15's as did mine
Just food for though for ya
For not much more money or work you can get reliability , mileage and power, that will be what you are after
Sell the 350 to a drag racer lol
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You better double check state law. In general older engine into newer vehicle = fail.

And when it comes to hooking up to obd II whatever you gained with the "free" engine gets lost. And then some.

Your best bet if you want more power is to swap in a 4.0 including engine, transmission, and complete wiring harness. You could probably finance most of the project by selling the V8.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I really want to make this clear. I have the 350 and have my heart set on this project. I have a daily driver already that gets 30mpg I truly don't care I only get 15mpg with my jeep right now anyway. I know there will be costs involved with making it obdII ready. I am looking for advice on HOW TO DO IT not what I should do instead. I like the idea of a 5.7 L V8 with dual exhaust and I honestly would love to stick with it. Not to be rude because I honestly appreciate the help but this is what I am doing, please no more nay sayers. So I am clear, the tbi, when the obdII sensors are added, will be able to pass emissions for registration with some work?
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also the 350 I have is the L05. Not the best version in the racing field from what I have seen online so selling it won't get me very much $. I have driven a jeep with a 350 and the power was there fr what I want. I have not driven a 4.0 so I cannot disagree with wether or not it puts out more power. I am inclined to believe all that you have said is true. So again, I am sorry if I come off as rude but this is one of 3 places I posted my questions and all 3 just say 350 is a lame idea. It's frustrating.
Unread 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and note taken I will have to look into state law on wether older engine in newer car is ok, but from what I have seen there are VERY few places that have such a law. The main concern on most states is that it passes the emissions test from the general research I have done
Unread 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I it has to pass emissions a pre obd2 motor
Won't pass emissions
It just won't
If that many people are saying no
You should just listen
You already have the motor
That's why you want that motor
Your going to be pissed at me for saying this but after you get the thing running and go to inspect it your going to feel ****ing stupid when it can't pass no mater what you throw at it

Throttle body injection is to primitive for a emissions legal motor in a tj, unless you go with a full multi port fuel injection system with a complete computer system and every sensor you can imagine
It is just not worth it

The 350 is beyond a lame and stupid swap for a vehicle that needs to meet emissions, it is down right useless
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
DJeepMyers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand why not? I have seen a few people with a CARB 350 in a tj street ready. Also in NH they don't use the sniffer. Simply the OBDII linkage. I am running dual exhaust and will have the O2 sensors in only one side reading only 4 Cyl. Yeah yeah I know that's not exactly legal, beyond the point. Most people in Nh who do inspections don't really care enough to look, they just hook up the computer run the car for X amount of time and send you on your way if all reads well. With only 4cyl of the 350 reading on the O2 sensors the reading won't be SO DRAMATICALLY different from the engine that's in there now. Yes it will indeed be different but there are means of adjusting the o2 read voltage to make the computer see what it wants to see while still keeping the engine at a proper performance tune. This is what I have gathered from all the other forums I have be throwin this idea out to. When I originally posted this article, advice on these methods was a little more of what I was looking into but my assumption is that no one else has gone this route or a similar one?

Tags
350 , 8.8 , chevy , ford , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.