collant disappearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > collant disappearing

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Hyfrydol
2001 TJ Wrangler 

collant disappearing

I have an '01 Wrangler, 6cyl, 130K, that I bought a little over 2 years ago. Generally speaking it has given great performance. I have dealt with a minor heat soak issue, and an oil pressure sending unit problem. It has always run like a dream. About 2 months ago I noticed that my temp gauge had shot up to red. Once I reached hwy speed it went back down. It did this again about 2 weeks later. When I got home I checked and I was low on coolant. I filled it up and have not had another problem until last night. It shot to red again, coolant was low, added coolant and all was well. This morning the coolant was low again and I can't get coolant level to stay at "full". I have read many of the possible causes, but I don't seem to have any of the symptoms: no "milky" oil, no visible leaks, no "oily" coolant, no coolant bubbling out of open radiator cap upon start up, no coolant in exhaust (although I have always had noticeable moisture in exhaust.) I am not an experienced car diy, but I am willing to try.

Hyfrydol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
JBD

look for a pinhole leak in the plastic tank. This is where mine had a leak but only when it was under pressure.
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfrydol View Post
I have an '01 Wrangler, 6cyl, 130K, that I bought a little over 2 years ago. Generally speaking it has given great performance. I have dealt with a minor heat soak issue, and an oil pressure sending unit problem. It has always run like a dream. About 2 months ago I noticed that my temp gauge had shot up to red. Once I reached hwy speed it went back down. It did this again about 2 weeks later. When I got home I checked and I was low on coolant. I filled it up and have not had another problem until last night. It shot to red again, coolant was low, added coolant and all was well. This morning the coolant was low again and I can't get coolant level to stay at "full". I have read many of the possible causes, but I don't seem to have any of the symptoms: no "milky" oil, no visible leaks, no "oily" coolant, no coolant bubbling out of open radiator cap upon start up, no coolant in exhaust (although I have always had noticeable moisture in exhaust.) I am not an experienced car diy, but I am willing to try.

OK you have a loss of coolant but no evidence of where it is going. Pull your oil filler cap. Is there some 'foam' on it?? IF there is you may be the newest member of this 'club'

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/c...dence-1306393/

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.