Cold air intake and/or throtle body space woth it?Notice any differences?(4.0L I6) TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Cold air intake and/or throtle body space woth it?Notice any differences?(4.0L I6) TJ

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-10-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
jeepcj7

Cold air intake and/or throtle body space woth it?Notice any differences?(4.0L I6) TJ

Cold air intake and/or throtle body space woth it?Notice any differences?(4.0L I6) in a TJ. What are the claimed gains in each one? THANX>

Unread 04-11-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

They both claim to give you lile horses but thats deffinatly not the case. Cooler air is always better just cause cooler air is more dense, there for increases combustion. The TB spacer is also good cause it allow more air to get into the mani behind the throttle valve.

I have both and like them both. I really only noticed an increase in throttle reponse and maybe a little more mid range power, but nothing special.

If I were you, I'd make your own intake, using a 6X9 K&N cone filter from Rusty's and use a wind sunshield to sheild it from heat. The K&N tubes are rediculously over priced. If you want, add a TB spacer, but to get even more out of it, you can have them bored out to 62mm. Also a bored TB is 200 bucks if you wanna spend alitte more.

Here is my intake. I know its diffrent on a TJ, but at least you can get an idea of how to make your own with a few things from Home Depot.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287552933

And here is the filter I got

And if you don't wanna make your own tube, Rusty's tube its only 30 bucks

Last edited by MSHarnett; 04-11-2004 at 08:23 AM..
MSHarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
KAKERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7
Cold air intake and/or throtle body space woth it?Notice any differences?(4.0L I6) in a TJ. What are the claimed gains in each one? THANX>
To run a true cold air intake on the TJ you're going to have to pull the air from outside the engine compartment. A simple cone filter by itself won't do this. Cool=dense, just putting a cone and air tube on your TJ may improve throttle response slightly and make more noise but not much more power. The thottle body spacer is really just marketing bs. Back in the day of carburetors a spacer could be a real tuning aid as severel types could be tried depending on your manifold set up and carb size. But these were with wet flow induction. With port fuel injection the throttle body/intake manifold only flow air so the point of the spacer is really moot. Some people have convinced themselves that they feel an improvement but think about the physics involved and you will see they aren't really doing anything. I suppose if you had a really poorly designed factory manifold/throttle body then a spacer might could aid in smoothing out the air flow to increase power but on a 4.0 that's not the case and is a big waste of money in my opinion. Now a bigger throttle body, that could increase power because you're actually increase the volume of air going into the engine, but that brings up other issues. Good luck with your TJ.
KAKERS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.