Clutch? Tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Clutch? Tranny?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-09-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
ddaly29

Clutch? Tranny?

Hi,

I have a 1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed.

When I try to select 2nd gear when the jeep is cold it does'nt want to go in. After it warms up there is no problem selecting any gear. I have replaced all the fluids, gearbox, clutch etc. The clutch needs to be pressed all the way to the floor at ALL times for the gearbox not to grind..

Any feedback as to the cold, gear selection would be appreciated.

Regards

ddaly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
jipjip

these tranny's are pretty hard to shift when cold.although i don't have to have my clutch ALL the way to the floor for them not to grind. check your clutch fluid and see if your leaking any. if not, i would suggest replacing your clutch master cyl, b/c it's probably bypassing fluid causing the freeplay in the clutch to increase, making you have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to properly disengage.
this may get worse as time goes on, to the point when you will not be able to get it into gear. period.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
clhaggett
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipjip
these tranny's are pretty hard to shift when cold.although i don't have to have my clutch ALL the way to the floor for them not to grind. check your clutch fluid and see if your leaking any. if not, i would suggest replacing your clutch master cyl, b/c it's probably bypassing fluid causing the freeplay in the clutch to increase, making you have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to properly disengage.
this may get worse as time goes on, to the point when you will not be able to get it into gear. period.
Good to know. My 89 hates to go into second when cold. I also noticed that reverse is a bit strange when cold. Definitely have to use the clutch pedal to the floor all the time on mine too.
clhaggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
clhaggett
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I am going to bite the bullet and replace the tranny in my YJ. I am not sure what is in it now, besides a 5 speed manual. I would like some input on my options. I have a 4.2L I6 and will be putting 33X12.50 tire. It currently has a 2" lift and I think I will add a 1" body lift with the tire upgrade just to get some extra room. Any thoughts would be a great help.
clhaggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.